Cooking in Your Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandMike

Reaction score
Every year we have a big party where we usually use a couple stock pots to make monstrous amounts of chili. I was curious whether anyone has ever tried cooking food in their keggle on a propane burner?

I imagine the clean up might be a bit of a pain though seeing as how chili bits might get into all the little areas, particularly if you have a valve on the bottom.

I could only imagine simmering a 1/2 bbl of chili all day long... It would be worth it just for the picture.

Yeah, the HUGE pot will require so much stirring it will kill you. A thick liquid like chili will burn on the bottom before the top is even warm.

BAD IDEA.

Liquids can re-circulate themselves with the warmer liquid cycling upward.

If you did nothing but constantly re-circulate it yourself ALL DAY, there is a 1 in 50 chance that you would not burn the $hit out of it.

SORRY!

I just hate to see your "never do this" thread later on.

What about a big pot inside the keggle, in water, like a double boiler- then simmer that puppy overnight or longer?

Or rig up some sort of big motorized stirrer. A BBQ rotisserie motor at the top connected to a huge worm gear so that it will pull the food from the bottom to the top constantly. It would be pretty low heat for the whole time, just enough to simmer but i imagine the gradient would be huge and cause burning issues like you said.

Back