Dry hopping in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnapierala

Reaction score
Anyone ever done it? I have the hops in a bag in the secondary now? What if i moved it with the beer? Or, what about adding more dry hops when racking to your keg and leaving them in there?

I am dry hopping an IPA in my keg right now. After doing a lot of research I like the idea of minimizing the amount of times I transfer my beer. Now I go right from primary into the keg and dry hop in the keg with pellets in a fine mesh bag.

How long have you been dry-hopping in the secondary?

If it has ample hop aroma you could just keg it, or if you want more aroma add some more hops in the keg...either whole or pellet...just make sure you bag them up. I have some fishing line attached to my bag and then tied to the outside of the keg so I can take them out when I want.

1f1fan said:
I am dry hopping an IPA in my keg right now. After doing a lot of research I like the idea of minimizing the amount of times I transfer my beer. Now I go right from primary into the keg and dry hop in the keg with pellets in a fine mesh bag.

How long have you been dry-hopping in the secondary?

If it has ample hop aroma you could just keg it, or if you want more aroma add some more hops in the keg...either whole or pellet...just make sure you bag them up. I have some fishing line attached to my bag and then tied to the outside of the keg so I can take them out when I want.

Hop aroma is already pretty good. I was just curious for future batches though too if people had luck doing this.

Im also thinking about ditching the secondary. What i may do is:

12 days fermenting
2-3 days in the garage to settle (cooler temps)
rack to keg (age for 1-3 weeks)
Force carb

This would completely eliminate any posibilities of long durations of exposure to oxy too since id purge with co2.

Anyway...

When I dry hop, it's in the keg. I use bags and remove them after a week or two. I have left them in longer & the flavor gets a bit strange, sort of freshly cut grass.

cnapierala said:
Im also thinking about ditching the secondary. What i may do is:

12 days fermenting
2-3 days in the garage to settle (cooler temps)
rack to keg (age for 1-3 weeks)
Force carb

This would completely eliminate any posibilities of long durations of exposure to oxy too since id purge with co2.

Anyway...

That's what I just did with my IPA.

Ferment, crash cool for a few days, transfer to keg and dry hop in keg. :D

I just dry hopped a keg with a paint strainer bag and purged it with CO2. Can I leave that at room temp (78 degrees or so) for 4 days and then remove the hop bag and force carb? I am worried about the beer absorbing the CO2 and I loose the head space to Oxygen.

I just dry hopped a keg with a paint strainer bag and purged it with CO2. Can I leave that at room temp (78 degrees or so) for 4 days and then remove the hop bag and force carb? I am worried about the beer absorbing the CO2 and I loose the head space to Oxygen.

You can remove the bag if you want. Just purge again with c02. I dryhop in the keg all the time, but I leave the hops bag in there because I stick it right in my kegerator. It stays in there until the keg is empty.

You can remove the bag if you want. Just purge again with c02. I dryhop in the keg all the time, but I leave the hops bag in there because I stick it right in my kegerator. It stays in there until the keg is empty.

So I can go ahead and force carb now in the kegerator and I will still get good hop flavor? I am also kind of worried about hop particles since I used pellets. Sorry, this is my first keg.

So I can go ahead and force carb now in the kegerator and I will still get good hop flavor? I am also kind of worried about hop particles since I used pellets. Sorry, this is my first keg.

I really like dryhopping in the keg, and have been very happy with the results. If the hops are bagged, you shouldn't have an issue with hops particles and debris.

Back