leak in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kforest236

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch Friday night, all seemed to go well. expected to see bubbler on the primary (plastic ale pale) going crazy the next morning, but nothing. I decided if there was still nothing this morning I would pitch more yeast. So I opened the bucket and found a huge head of foam on top of my beer. So obviously there is an air leak in my bucket. I transferred into my secondary (carboy), and all seems well. My question is what could all that exposure to the air have done to the final product?

?? The primary sounded normal, the foam is termed krausen and is a natural process in fermentation.?? Fermentation can take up to 3 or 4 days to start depending on numerous factors. It doesn't matter if there is a leak in your primary as the fermentation will push out any oxygen.

To answer your question, no the air will not harm it. While fermenting there will be a nice layer of C02 blanketing over the beer not allowing any nasties to grow.

I'd recommend grabbing a big (6g - 7.5g) carboy to use as your primary. I was never a big fan of the buckets.

This all sounds normal and typical of bucket fermentations to me. RDWHAHB. If you've ever worried about this type of scenario, go look for Anchor Brewing's video of their open fermentation tanks. :)

Having a leak isn't a problem in the least. Airtight is not a requirement in any way! Many folks just cover their primary loosely to prevent anything falling in and let it go.

You may have created a problem by racking it at the height of fermentation. You certainly gave your yeast a set back but hopefully it will recover and finish its job. Next time, leave it alone for a few weeks and trust your yeast to know what it's doing. :)

Back