first post, first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just found this forum today and already consider myself better for the experience.

I'm about to start on my first beer from a recipe. I've always used the kits before, but this time I (or the dude at the brew shop) put together the ingredients for Anchor's Special Ale.

I'm trying to figure out a few things.

Yeast starter: I've always just pitched my dry yeast in on top of my wort once it's in the bucket. this time I'm using a liquid vile from White Labs. I'm been seeing stuff about using some DME in the mix to get it started. 1. What is DME? 2. Can I just use some of my extract? 3. What's the best low cost container for my starter? 4. Any other tips?

Sparging: The kits have you just put this in a cheese cloth bag and let it float around in your wort. The guy at the brew shop said this didn't get all of the flavors. I'd sure hate to have to drill 150 holes in a plastic bucket to sparge. 5. Is there an easier way that doesn't require a lot of work or a lot of money?

Priming: The recipe says to use some of my extract for priming, I've always used sugar. I'm worried that between the starter and priming I won't have enough extract for my wort. 6. What do you think?

Malto Dextrin: The recipe calls for Malto Dextrin, but the brew shop dude didn't give me any. 7. Do you think he just forgot or I'm not supposed to use any. I could call him, but he's closed today and tomorrow plus it's a long distance call. Should I just buy some locally?

Thanks in advance. Sorry to hit you all with all of these questions right off. I hope to contribute in a positive way to the forum some time.

Welcome! When I saw your nic, I first thought of A Clockwork Orange. Ha!

DME--dry malt extract. These come in bags, not cans or chinese soup take out containers. You can use this to start your yeast. It's what I use. And (sanitized) growlers or flasks work great for starters.

I think some here keep extra DME on hand for priming (I do), others retain 1 1/4 Cup of their recipe's DME for priming later on. Use what you like. I think it can be more of a purist's argument.

What you have are probably specialty grains which are more easily handled by holding the grain bag over the wort, and dumping ~160 degree water on it. You are not extracting enzymes/sugars, but the flavors here.

Does the recipe call for carapils? I use that instead of maltodextrine. Perhaps he substituted in your grain bag?

You'll do better than you think. Would be interested in seeing the recipe too!

I've tried using Malto Dextrin in the 4-8 oz quantities recommended by many recipes, but found my beers are better with only 1 oz.

The MD is unfermentable and gives your beer a heavier body and mouthfeel.

If you use enough malt in your batch you don't need as much MD.

You should always have extra supplies on hand. That comes with experience.

As far as sparging...buy one of those bags for the grain and a nylon net that goes over your primary. You can use that to hold your grain bag as you sparge (with clear water) into your pot.

I'm a fan of Clockwork Orange, but I don't get the reference I guess. I haven't read the book or seen the movie for years, though.

So DME is the stuff I already have in my recipe? It came in a big plastic sack. So I can either use the same kind or get some spare and just keep it handy depending on my desire for purity?

No carapils in my recipe, I'm not sure about in the grain bag. I guess I'll have to call him. So if they aren't in there, it won't ruin my batch?

So you guys mean still use one of those cheesecloth bags and then just pour 160 degree water over it. I'm not getting a visual on nylon net. do you mean like on that fishermen use? So when in the boiling should I do this?

Thanks for the warm welcome homebrewer_99 and gaelone. I'm glad to be a part of this community.

Yeah, I love that website. I'd almost buy the guys book, but it's all there on the web. I looked at it, but sometimes I need stuff explained to me really simple.

thanks for the reply and welcome(I consider it a welcome anyway).

billybrew said:
So you guys mean still use one of those cheesecloth bags and then just pour 160 degree water over it. I'm not getting a visual on nylon net. do you mean like on that fishermen use? So when in the boiling should I do this?

You'll first want to steep the bag of grains in 150 degree water like tea for 30 to 45 minutes. Then put the whole bag into a strainer and pour the fresh 160 degree water SLOOOOOOWLY over it to rinse the sugars out.

And, the nylon bags are more like panty-hose, except they don't stretch. They are made of a very fine mesh so nothing solid comes through.

-walker

you can use just about anything that you want. The main point is that you want to remove the grain from the wort and rinse it with hot water before boiling what's left in the pot.

You do not want to boil the grains, because this will extract some bitter elements (tanin) from the husks which will cause your mouth to pucker when you drink the final product.

-walker

Welcome Billybrew. Bethany, huh? My sister lives in OKC and her husband's parents live in Bethany. My sister teaches at OU Health Sciences Center. Yeah, she got the brains! Good to see someone on here who is close. Having to see things in your mind......I need that sometimes too; must be an Oklahoma thing!! I'd like to see your recipe too. I'm in Enid, so we may have to trade some brew or something!! Again, Welcome!!

Tim

gaelone said:
What you have are probably specialty grains which are more easily handled by holding the grain bag over the wort, and dumping ~160 degree water on it. You are not extracting enzymes/sugars, but the flavors here.

Crystal malt contributes some fermentable sugars, doesn't it?

Back