BB: Scotish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterDrew

Reaction score
I was at my LHBS friday picking up ingredients for the Caramel Cream Ale along with another brewing vessel (I like to sneak a new one in every week or two so the wife doesn't think I've gone nuts all at once) and I was discussing with the group of gents there about the Scotish Ale I currently have in secondary. The general consensus was to "not touch it for 6 to 8 weeks" to allow for the flavors to become what they should. Now, while I have no problem with letting the beer sit prior to consumption (I also make wine and understand that the zen of "better with age" runs true with some adult beverages) I am kinda bummed because this is my first batch of brew and golly I shoulda started with that kolsch.

My question to you, o guru's of homebrew, is this: Am I better off bulk aging this in secondary or go ahead and bottle it next weekend and letting it age in the bottles for 6 to 8 weeks (trying 1 a week because I can)?

Ah the age old question, The answer is: Next time, brew two batches, let one sit while you swill the other, or swill something else. We've all been in your shoes and it doesn't work to fight the patience battle, especially for the first few times when you cant really RDWHAHB when the HB part of the equation doesn't exist.

So, my advice to you is do what "you can" and experience for yourself why the last beer is always the best.

Keep on brewing my friend:mug:

Back