Dented keg :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What would you do with a keg with a tiny dent right around the lip? It wont seal (i filled it with water and shook, and water came out). where would you go to get it fixed (or should I just take a wrench and hope i can knock the dent out myself.

And if it cant be fixed... what do you do with a dented keg?

I don't have experience straightening kegs, but I have done some sheet metal work. Do your best to straighten it with a wrench. Don't use a pliers or any other tool with a textured gripping surface that could leave marks. Then get a heavy and flat piece of steel and hold it on the back side as you tap with a hammer on the front side. If that doesn't work you have a neat flower pot.

I don't have experience straightening kegs, but I have done some sheet metal work. Do your best to straighten it with a wrench. Don't use a pliers or any other tool with a textured gripping surface that could leave marks. Then get a heavy and flat piece of steel and hold it on the back side as you tap with a hammer on the front side. If that doesn't work you have a neat flower pot.

+1, Also lots of keg lube on the o-ring AND on the inside of the lip will help to seal it if you can get most of the dent out.

interesting.... sounds like an interesting Sunday project! (was about to get pliers :) )

+1 on straightening it some- Main other thing (other then keg lube as posted) is pressurize it with about 30 PSI- corny kegs are designed for pressure, and without about 30 PSI (and then vent if desired) they won't seal correctly. Hope this helps!

A good idea when trying to straiten a dent in metal is to use a block of wood, if room permits. If the dent is away from the lip some, you might try a c-clamp right on the dent.

I have one with a pretty serious dent where the keg lid locks, almost as if something fell on it and pressed the linkage into the lid. I worked it enough to get it to seal, once, but the next time I messed with it I couldn't get it to seal to savce my life:(

As for what to do with a keg that has a dented lid and won't seal, no matter what.....I store starsan in mine.

I have had luck treating it like a truck tire with a bead leak. Lube the seal and install the lid, pressurize it and leave the air connected. Tap the leaking area with a hammer until the leak stops. I used an air compressor with a gas in fitting on the hose dialed down to 30PSI. CO2 is to expensive to waste on fixing a leak.

What would you do with a keg with a tiny dent right around the lip? It wont seal (i filled it with water and shook, and water came out). where would you go to get it fixed (or should I just take a wrench and hope i can knock the dent out myself.

And if it cant be fixed... what do you do with a dented keg?

have you actually pressure tested the Keg? Some of mine are a little banged up but they seal when I hit them with Gas. I would try some keg lube on the o ring and apply the pressure. One of mine wont seal till it hits about 30 psi then I can back it down.

Back