Chest Freezer Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk Monkey

Reaction score
It is time to pick up a chest freezer for fermenting ales, because it is so hot out, and also try some lagers. I already have the temp controller, but wanted to know what is the smallest size freezer I could get away with. Would a 5 cf freezer fit a bucket/carboy and airlock? Could a 7 cf fit 2 of them?

It depends on where the compress is placed. I would take a couple buckets/carboys along and check. That's what I did when I purchased an old fridge to make into a kegger. Looking at the picture of a 10 cube, I'd guess a 5'r will only hold one carboy, two cornies and a 5 lb CO2 tank. Real good change a 7 will hold two carboys.

I wold not buy something without checking. I'd probably accept a free one without checking.

I would recommend spending a little bit more to make sure you can get at least two carboys in it. This is an 8.8 cu. ft. model from Frigidaire that sells at Lowe's for $227 all day long. Best Buy will match the price. The model number is FFC09C3AW

4809201_sa.jpg

I've measured the inside and you can get two carboys in it or 4 Cornelius kegs in it. I have a friend with this model and he lagers his beers in corny kegs this way. The interior measurements are:

25" wide (to the compressor hump" by 16.5" deep by 29" high.

The compressor hump area is 11" wide by 16.5" deep and 18.5" high and can accomodate a 3 or 2.5 gallon corny or bottles of beer as I have seen in some pics.

I was going to drive an hour to buy one of these from Craigslist for $175 till I stopped at Lowes and looked around and saw the same one brand new for $227 and it was around the corner from where I live.

When you shop for one, I would recommend cutting out some circles of cardboard in the diameter of your carboys and kegs. That way you can do some arranging and see how many of each will fit in the freezer before you buy it. :mug:

Thanks for the help. Size is a concern though, so can't go that big. The 7 doesn't seem that big and was hoping it could hold 2. At the very least, a 5 will at least fit one carboy.
But I guess if i can fit 2, then I will have to brew 2 batches close together so that they can be set at the right temps.

I like the idea of bringing around the carboard cutouts. It will look slightly less strange when i walk into Lowes with them instead of buckets and carboys.

Thanks for the info. Size is a consideration, and the smaller the better. The 7 doesn't look to big and was hoping it would fit 2. Sounds like the 5 will at least hold one though.

My 5cf chest freezer, will fit a standard 5G CB and 1 corny. Thge Standard 6G CB is a hair too fat to slip a corny in there as well. The compressor is a shelf that takes up one corner and on a diagonal comes nearly to the center ofthe roughtly square "floor" of it. I have a couple good pics of the layout at my home Pc I can post later.

Been having a hard time finding a used chest freezer that fits 2 carboys and isn't that big. I went to Lowes and saw the 8.8 cf one and it is perfect. The model at the store by me is $270 though.

Drunk Monkey said:
Been having a hard time finding a used chest freezer that fits 2 carboys and isn't that big. I went to Lowes and saw the 8.8 cf one and it is perfect. The model at the store by me is $270 though.

I just checked my Lowes and they are out of it. It's a clearance. They have a 14.4 Frigidaire on clearance for $296 down from $348.

Keep in mind that most 5 cf and 5.5 cf freezers are the same outside size. The 5's usually have more of a "shelf" in the bottom for the motor. The 5.5 leaves you with more deep space.

I'm looking into one of these form my kegs. Gunna mount a tower on the top.

I am going to buy a 10cf one used. Bigger than i would have ideally wanted, but i am going to be waiting forever to find the perfect used one. It has been awhile since i have been able to brew. Can't beat $50 either.

Back