How does this sound for a barley wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
See below...I think it looks good but think all the yeast additiions might be overkill....what are your thoughts. This think will definitely get you :drunk:

Recipe for 5 gallons
Fermentable materials
4 packages Northwestern gold malt extract (13.2 pounds, total)
1-1/2 pounds Munich malt
1-1/2 pound medium crystal malt
1 pound dark brown sugar

Hops
2-1/2 ounces Chinook, Nugget, or other high-alpha hop (13%), boil 75 minutes
1-1/2 ounces Northern Brewer hops, 8% alpha, boil 30 minutes
1 ounce Cascade or Centennial hops, steep

Other Ingredients: 1 teaspoon Irish moss

Yeast: Yeast Lab A05 Irish ale yeast, in starter

Procedure Notes: Bring 6 gallons of water to steaming. Put the Munich and crystal malt in a grain bag and steep for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the extract and brown sugar and bring to boil. Add the bittering hops and boil for 75 minutes. In the last 30 minutes, add the Northern Brewer hops and Irish moss. At end of boil, remove from heat and add Cascades or similar American hop, and steep for 5-10 minutes. Force chill to 65 degrees F and move to fermenter. Aerate well and pitch yeast. Begin another starter. After fermenting for 3-4 days (when krausen drops), rack to a secondary fermenter and repitch yeast. Allow to ferment in the secondary for a week. A couple days before the end of the week, begin a third starter. Rack beer to another fermenter and repitch yeast. Allow to ferment another 2 weeks. Prime and bottle as usual. Age several months.

Yeah, I think the yeast additions are overkill. I would just make a huge starter, attach a blowoff hose, and try to keep the temp down.

I wouldn't bottle it that soon. After a couple weeks in a secondary, I would transwer it to a tertiary carboy and let it sit in there for at least 3-4 months, then bottle it and let it sit for a few more months.

Would it be better to steep (mini mash) the grains at 150 to 154 degrees for 60 minutes then rinse with 170 degree water? I say this because you may be able to get conversion and more extract from the Munich malt. If you just steep for 15 minutes I'm not sure if you will get anything from the Munich.

The minimash is definitely a good idea. I will definitly consider that. As far as approx. a month in 2nd/3rd I would start to worry about carbonation issues since I am carbonating naturally. Should I not be worried?

Steep grains at 150 for 30 minutes, Centennial rather than Cascades and double the Irish Moss. Two weeks in the primary. At least a month in the secondary with dry champagne yeast. You could pitch another packet in the bottling bucket. Should be ready for the cold weather. I'm still drinking the 2003 and it just keeps getting better.

Thanks for the advice...I will be brewing this thing soon.

I was also considering a dry hop with cascade maybe.

I am brewing this tomorrow...made a starter this morning. I am going to do a mini-mash for 30 minutes. (Strike = 170 degrees). I have decided not to carbonate so I will promary for 2 weeks and secondary for 2 months or so. We'll see how this goes...it's going to be tough waiting until christmas to start cracking these. This is my first mini-mash.

Back