New stout tap.....too much foam!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to using stout taps so I may be doing something wrong. I made Yoopers oatmeal stout and have a keg that is carbed and ready to go...I burned it a few times then hooked the beergas to it at 25 psi.....have poured several pints and still a full glass of foam! After 5-6 minutes you have a decent beer and the taste is great but there has got to be something I can do to eliminate the wait....suggestions?!?

2BeerSpeer said:
I'm new to using stout taps so I may be doing something wrong. I made Yoopers oatmeal stout and have a keg that is carbed and ready to go...I burned it a few times then hooked the beergas to it at 25 psi.....have poured several pints and still a full glass of foam! After 5-6 minutes you have a decent beer and the taste is great but there has got to be something I can do to eliminate the wait....suggestions?!?

Too high of carbonation level in your keg prior to hooking up to nitrogen?

I don't think so, it poured fine when I had it on a regular tap. I may try to de-carb it by switching the co2 to the beer side and burping it a few times the put it back on the nitro and see if it is better.

Too high of carbonation level in your keg prior to hooking up to nitrogen?

This. If it was serving well on CO2 then it is overcarbed for a stout faucet.

I carb my stouts at about 8 lbs for a couple of weeks on CO2 then hook. up the beergas to serve. I like 30-35 lbs.

I had problems figuring out how to get my stout stuff to work too. What to make it with C02 and then what to do on nitro, etc. In the end, here is what I do. Keg it, put it straight on beer gas at about 25, and carb it that way in the fridge. I know it cost me more since it uses more beer gas to carb but my beer has been coming out great this way.

Back