The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got plenty of CO2 and an extension cord already set up from the walk-in to a generator. Bring it on Sandy!

Looks the The Nurse is extending his vacation a bit.

We are getting some pretty strong wind gusts here..I hope I don't lose power, I brewed a lager yesterday...I'm staring at this big ol tree in my yard...:eek:

So far the worst of this is my property is buried in oak leaves. The up-side of that is the trees are stark nekkid and thus less susceptible to the increasing wind speeds - gusts of which have risen to around 45mph within the last 15 minutes.

Hardly any rain to this point. I'd love a few inches, frankly, because the ground water here is down a good four feet from average. Not an issue with our deep bedrock well, but my bass pond is low enough that the friggin' Great Blue Herons can wade nearly its entirety and they've been cleaning out all the fishies!

Cheers!

Yup... We're still up and running. No power out here yet. Lights have done some serious flickering but haven't gone out yet.

I have the generator gassed up and ready to go if it does go out though.

Time for a beer!!!

[...]Time for a beer!!!

Agreed. Enough work for one day, I'm heading for a Citra IPA.

Wrote too soon about the trees, we lost an ~80 white oak at the pond edge that is now a crude bridge to the other side.

Serendipitously, I've wanted to drop that tree since 1992, but the spousal unit wouldn't hear of it. Sorry, sweetie!

Cheers! ;)

Ho hum. We're here in London and had a bit of drizzle while we went to Dukes Bar in St James Place and drank martini's where Sir Ian Fleming hang out and wrote the early James Bond novels.

A bit pricey at £85 for four martinis but worth it. Those were some great martinis!!

paulthenurse said:
Ho hum. We're here in London and had a bit of drizzle while we went to Dukes Bar in St James Place and drank martini's where Sir Ian Fleming hang out and wrote the early James Bond novels.

A bit pricey at £85 for four martinis but worth it. Those were some great martinis!!

Sounds like your having a great time!

Holy Crap, Batman! At those prices, Ian should be serving you the drinks, and writing your biographies - or at least a good portion of your obits!

I hope they were 12 oz drinks!

On the homefront - we had minimal tree damage up here, with no loss of power, and I brewed up a batch of Sandy Sucks ESB!

Also was able to have my first bottle of the all grain Lagunitas clone that I made on Paul's system at the Masstoberfest. I let 1/2 sit on the citra dry hops for a week before bottling, and they tasted great after only a week in the bottle. Plan on bottling the second 5 gallons tonight after 2 weeks on Citra, to see how much difference the second week of dry hopping makes between batches.

Our town just built a "get ready for Armageddon Police Station and Emergency Center" which was knocked out before the storm even started.

We got some good damage but nothing compared to a normal NorEaster. I am without power tho. Sitting in my living room yesterday afternoon and I heard a huge boom which was a thick oak tree snapping and being thrown across the back of my yard. Thing probably snapped about 20' up. It landed on my powerlines to the house and ripped the meter off the house. I'm surrounded by very tall trees. Whenever I hear a tree snapping there's the two seconds of please dont land in my living room or my lap.

For now I'm feeling ripe and getting ready for meetings. From previous experience, it will be days without power. I thought Deval Patrick tested Twitter/Facebook and was prepared for this not to happen?

Nothing to speak of our here in the hinterlands. Felt like a bright spring morning when I went to work, in fact. A little wind, but never heard or really felt it (this was the first decent-sized storm in the new house; the old one was a lot shakier). A little water in the basement, but from the usual spots (bulkhead, mostly, which needs to be re-caulked). Just wet, though, no standing water. A tint bit of water came in through Bean's windows in her turret, the windows are newish and caulked well, it looks like the wind just forced the water past the weatherstipping.
No real damage noticed on my drive in to work. West end of town might be without power, but for as much as people lost their **** around here in anticipation of the storm (the kids are off from school today :rolleyes:), we're going to get a LOT worse during the first Nor'easter.

That's good to hear. I was worried Vermont was going to get flooded again. Looked like the heavy rains were headed that way. They definately don't need that after last year. Good news is my first batch of lagers were taken out of the ferm chamber days ago. I was hoping to do a brew session last weekend but never got around to it. Now to do the yearly should I get a generator debate. I have the patchwork ready from the previous owner's Y2K zombie apocalypse preparedness.

EDIT: We lost six telephone poles, with some of them snapping:

20121029_033855_379103_331602370271821_934531127_n_200.jpg

Just got power back. Lost it yesterday around 430. About two hours earlier had pitched a large starter for a lager I did. Hope it's ok. My two chest freezers didn't lose too much temp..

There are large chunks of power outages all around our area but we got lucky abd never lost power. We were out for eight days and the. Five more last year with the two storms. We lucked out this time.

Got a buddy stopping by in about an hour to borrow my generator since they're out.

There are large chunks of power outages all around our area but we got lucky abd never lost power. We were out for eight days and the. Five more last year with the two storms. We lucked out this time.

Got a buddy stopping by in about an hour to borrow my generator since they're out.

You making an appearance on Sat at the Crawl?

Our plane gets into Logan about six. Where should I meet you guys. My liver is going out in a blaze of glory after this trip.

I had no frigging idea just how spectacular a steady diet of cask ales could be. Even the proprietary pubs have to offer at least one of someone else's brews and the free pubs are a glorious monument to selection.

I see a beer engine in my future.

I am the lead on it, is that something you would like to attend? My name is Bob Fontaine. We are hitting up 5-6 places that day. Let me know

Hi Bob,
I'm looking forward to getting to know other guys in the club a little better. Always like brewery tours as well, so should be fun. I just won't be doing all the stops in the crawl, with a commute back to NH looming. Mort

I had no frigging idea just how spectacular a steady diet of cask ales could be. Even the proprietary pubs have to offer at least one of someone else's brews and the free pubs are a glorious monument to selection.

My wife prefers cask conditioned, but me, not so much.

Can someone please tell me why the cask conditioned beers always seem much flatter, and different tasting to me than any other tap, or bottled beer? I know that they don't add CO2, and the keg gets sealed for a bit to build up the carbonation, but do they typically target a much lower carbonation level than bottling? Or is it just because as beer is pumped out, air is pumped in, and that's what makes it flatter?

Our plane gets into Logan about six. Where should I meet you guys. My liver is going out in a blaze of glory after this trip.

This is the Itinerary paul, landing at 6, drive to plymouth, some of us should still be there...

11:00 AM Sharp Start at Mayflower Brewing
12:00-12:30 arrive at New World Tavern for lunch and a few beers
2:30 arrive at British beer for beer
4:00 arrive at Driftwood Public House for more beer
6:00 T Bones for dinner and a few more drinks

My wife prefers cask conditioned, but me, not so much.

Can someone please tell me why the cask conditioned beers always seem much flatter, and different tasting to me than any other tap, or bottled beer? I know that they don't add CO2, and the keg gets sealed for a bit to build up the carbonation, but do they typically target a much lower carbonation level than bottling? Or is it just because as beer is pumped out, air is pumped in, and that's what makes it flatter?

Yeah, it's a lower CO2 target - might only be ~1 volume, IIRC. It's also usually served warmer. There was a brewpub in Pittsfield that served an IPA on cask, and it was one of the best beers I've had (but only so-so under normal carbonation and and normal temps) - so smooth, all these other flavors were jumping out that I'd never noticed before, just felt so much fuller-bodied yet easier to drink... a completely different (and better) beer.

Yeah, it's a lower CO2 target - might only be ~1 volume, IIRC. It's also usually served warmer. There was a brewpub in Pittsfield that served an IPA on cask, and it was one of the best beers I've had (but only so-so under normal carbonation and and normal temps) - so smooth, all these other flavors were jumping out that I'd never noticed before, just felt so much fuller-bodied yet easier to drink... a completely different (and better) beer.

ya, that miller lite tastes alot different in a cask

I'd also assume that there would be a little more yeast inside a cask. Whenever I try a casked beer I taste more of the yeast profile. Add that with a higher temp. I may be wrong.

Supposedly I just got power back to my house. Bathing in the koi pond in the morning was getting a little old. I believe I'm hooked up because the power guy heard the behemoth keezer start up once he flipped the switch.

thanks for the feedback on the cask conditioning. I'm betting that most of what I perceive is from the lower overall targeted CO2 levels.

Different subject - anyone know of the best bar in Orlando to catch a Patriots game with good beers? (i.e. best sports bar with many TVs so I don't have to deal with Dolphins, Dolphins, Dolphins, and Bucks).

I'm headed down there the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and we have 2 days off in Mouseville before dealing with the in-laws and outlaws. Figured I'd ask around here before asking everyone in the country.

I don't know what hotel we're staying in yet - I know there's a big ESPN bar in Disneyworld, but was hoping for something with better beer and less hype.

The only option is ESPN zone on the boardwalk near Epcot. Nothing else in Disney will have beer and football.

Hey Mike (or anyone else),
do you know of any places in Orlando proper - (i.e. not Disney?) Even if it wasn't clear in my last post, I don't think we're going anywhere near Disneyworld, unless that ESPN bar is our only option.

Thanks,

nhwrecker said:
Hey Mike (or anyone else),
do you know of any places in Orlando proper - (i.e. not Disney?) Even if it wasn't clear in my last post, I don't think we're going anywhere near Disneyworld, unless that ESPN bar is our only option.

Thanks,

Oh, I thought you were in Disney! You'll have plenty of options of bars as far as I know. We don't venture off property very often.

Hey Mort,

Advance notice here of a trip I'm going to organize for next fall. We're going to leave Boston for a week of diving somewhere in the Med (Crete?) or the Aegean (Greece) then stop in Munich at Octoberfest on the way home. Me & Al, Scott & Sarah, Kim & Maryann . You & Pat?
The girls may want to come, too. I would like to do a live aboard for the week but Maryann gets seasick at the dock so that might not fly. What ya think?

Latest posts

Back