First Partial Mash Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
Ok, like it says, I'm getting ready to do my first real PM. I have a couple questions and would like to varify my mash process. I am using a Gott 5 gal cooler and a hefe recipe I did on BS.
First, when measuring the water amounts, how do you measure tenths (example; .14 gal)?

Now the process, I'll add the grain to my MLT, then 7.5 qts stir and leave for 60 minutes (at 150 Degrees).
Add 2.14 gal at 168 degrees, stir, drain back to MLT until clear then drain to Kettle (until it all drains out???) add 2.96 gal to MLT, stir, let reast about 10 minutes, then drain back to MLT until clear then drain to kettle and brew as normal. Sound about right? Here is the brew sheet from BS:

Recipe: Töpperwein Hefe-Wizen Beer
Brewer: Töpperwein Brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 25.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 37.50 %
3 lbs Red Wheat (6.0 SRM) Grain 37.50 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer on hand [3.70 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
5.00 gal San Antonio Water Water
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.9 F 150.0 F

Yep, drain completely each time. I like to start heating the wort once the first runnings are in.

Here is a bookmarked website I use for conversions. When it comes to water, you just want to get as close as possible. Aim for a little over a gallon if that is as accurate as you can get. .14 gallons = 17.92 ounces and I have a digital scale for ounces. The calculator is very cool.

http://www.ez-calculators.com/measurement-conversion-calculator.htm

IMHO you are getting to serious in your PMing. I think you should use a gran bag and steep/mash your grain at 1.25 qts water/lb grain at 154 degrees for an hour. Then use a ladle to sparge slowly over it until you have your preboil amount. Only the pot is needed this way, no MLT. Then boil as usual. If you are doing this to get a feel for AG, go for it.

I have included some threads on ways people have PMed. Let me know if you have any other ?'s!!!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24180
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29961
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33323

Also, you should be going for a full boil and it seems to me you may have forgotten the boil-off. About 6.4 gallons is good for an hour of rigorous boiling to get to 5 gallons in the fermenter. BS can help with that.

honestly, you don't have to be that exact, unless you really enjoy the science part of it.
i have a pitcher that's 1 gallon. i just eye ball it. you can also use google to make conversions. just type in .14 gallons in cups and hit search, it'll come back .14 US gallons = 2.24 US cups, so just do 2 and a quarter cups and call it a day :)

i try to keep my brewing laid back but with good habits. so far all is well *knock on wood*

Thanks guys, eye balling it sounds good.
Kayos, Liquid ounces are a volume measurement, I don't think you can use a scale for that. For example, .14 gal of water does not weight the same as .14 gal of milk. I am doing this to get a feel for AG.

Yup, gallons to cups is what I meant and a much better idea. ;) Wrote that after a few homebrews

So the PM went real well. My mash temp was 152 just 2 over the 150 in the recipe. My OG was 1.050 just .002 over the 1.048 that BS gave me. So overall I'm happy with it. Next question, how do I figure my effiency?

Thanks

Click on the Brewhouse Efficieny button in the recipe view of Beersmith. You give it the OG and it will give you your efficiency.

Back