Stubborn Paint on Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I have been using Star-San to remove paint form all of my beer bottles. But I am having trouble getting it to work on certain bottles: Stone Double Bastard and Ruination, and the 22oz Rogue bottles.
I have made a double strength solution and let them sit for 2 weeks, and when I pull them out I still can't get the paint off! I have quite a few bottles building up. I'm about to trash the bottles, but I figured I'd give it one last try. Has anybody been able to get the paint off?

I don't know about in your area, but around here the corona, red stripe, and rogue bottles have pigment infused powdered glass 'painted' onto the bottle then heated so it becomes part of the bottle. If you can't get a razor under it, it's baked in and you'll have to physically buff it off.

Some people claim to be able to take the paint off, but those techniques like using paint stripper didn't work for me. buffing with a high grit sandpaper (like 220 or higher)with the random orbit sander works for me though although iit makes the bottles hazy.

I've got a box full of Rogue bottles I've cleaned off... a 12 hour bath in bleach and Dawn dish soap and some elbow grease with a very course sponge... I love the Rogue bottles. :)

Straight bleach? You mix it with the dawn? I thought that was dangerous....bad vapors. But I guess if I do it in the garage with the door open and a fan on...

Not straight bleach... a generous splash in 5 gallons of soapy water. :)

As to mixing, I don't think it's a bad thing, I've done it often and I don't notice vapors at all other than the smell of the bleach itself.

Ammonia and Bleach = bad.

Soap and Bleach = extra cleaning. :)

I'll have to try that with the Arrogant Bastard bottles I have.

CatchinZs said:
Ammonia and Bleach = bad.

Yup. I've even made myself woozy bleaching out a dirty litter box (residual ammonia). That combination is just asking for death. You can't smell the chorine gas.

Back