? about vinyl tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy915

Reaction score
I'm at the hardware store right now and was wondering which tubing I should get. The clear vinyl one says it handles chemicals, gases, and liquids; but do not use with ice makers
The other is polyethylene tubing that says resistant to most acids and akalis; good for ice makers or water lines.

I'm just a little confused which to use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If it is for hot make sure it is reinforced else the tube get soft when it heats up and can kink really easily. I just replaced a bunch of cheap clear hose with reinforced vinyl on the chilling side and silicone on the wort side.

vinyl and poly will do the same thing, it is a market ploy specify that they will work for different applications, except at extreme temps. vinyl gets soft when hot and can kink.

I'd think polyethelene tubing is ok since it is similar to PEX (cross-linked polyethelene) which is approved for drinking water supply lines.

It would help if you told us what you planned on using it for. I would say copper, but that's because that's what I would use when replumbing my sink....oh, that's not what you're doing? :D

Hot vinyl kinks really easily and it is annoying. If it is going to be hot (water output from a chiller or hot wort) then get reinforced or something stiffer.

Back