Soda Siphon Force Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCBrewGuy

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't get a kegging set-up in my apartment (I managed to get the wife OK with my fermentation fridge but we don't have that much space and I doubt a keg system is in the cards until we move).

I was thinking about rigging up a carbonator cap and 2-liter soda bottle. Then force carbing with a CO2 charger. Then I thought, what if I use a soda siphon. I can get one pretty cheap and carbonate with CO2 chargers. Anyone try it?

The goal is to have a way of force carbing (if I don't want to bottle condition) a larger format bottle/container. Specifically so I can chill it down in the fridge and then bring it to parties to share my brew with friends.

Using plastic bottles and a charger would be dangerous, but the soda siphon would work. The difference being the siphon has a pressure regulator built-in.

Tap-A-Draft, or buy a few Miller/Coors fridge kegs and re-use them. There's a few threads around on that topic. I have 2 Miller mini-kegs and they have been working great for me!

I'm going to bump this up to ask - WHY? why is it dangerous? Folks regularly force carbonate sodas in plastic bottles. - why not with Beer?

Carbonating beer is fine. I believe what was originally stated was the co2 charger, which seems to refer to the small steel chargers that simply dump co2 into a container. Products that use these are usually designed for those chargers (for example, a charger containing 8 grams. While not impossible to dump 16 grams of co2 into a plastic bottle it wasn't discussed in this thread about the pressure it would create and if the bottle was right for it.

Many people do force carbonate beer in plastic soda bottles, but a larger co2 tank can be used and set to a specific setting using a regulator. For example, I'd set the regulator at around 20 for beer, and 35 for water/soda but I can vary the amount. The chargers just dump all 8 grams in.

Back