Fruit Beer = increased bottle bomb potential?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaky

Reaction score
Ok.. So I had a bunch of raspberries and I decided I was going to throw them into a short batch as an experiment...
So I had a 3G batch of a basic wheat and I added some raspberry syrup (cooked down raspberries with brown sugar) and honey.

I bottled way later (so I think I had a full ferment.)

I took the bottles to bottle carbonate in my hot room (this is where I crank the heat for my summer wheats - 76 degrees). Long story short - a capped bottle was leaking so I uncapped it - big boom and slow gusher, but very impressive CO2 push. Is this more normal with fruit or a byproduct of the heat in my hot room?
seems like the beer is way dry now - so I wonder if I restarted the ferment.

It is always best to add your fruit to secondary, and ensure that it has fermented all of the way out. Normally I will rack onto fruit and allow it to stand for at least 10 days, in my experience this has been long enough for the secondary fermentation to finish.

FWIW, I have had bottled beer become gushers from not conditioning long enough before opening one, by that I mean the co2 had not absorbed all the way into solution.

You could have a beer still in the conditioning stage as mentioned above. It really needs 3-6 weeks for a proper condition. It goes from flat, to somewhat carbed, to gusher, to properly conditioned. What schitzengiggle said above happens. You can have a beer one week that gushes when you open it and it pours flat, then a week later it has great carbonation and does not gush.

The Co2 created by bottle fermentation is created faster then it is absorbed by the beer and causes a high pressure zone in the head space. It takes a few days to a week once it is in this stage to be disolved into the beer. But once it is, you are good to go.

ok. That makes sense. The bottles I used were green Stellas and I was surprised to see them leak - but they have a different top than most craft beers. I wouldn't have tried opening them if I didn't have 2 of them that "leaked". I had never seen that with caps.

If u add fruit to the sEcondary, (I'm making a peach wheat) do u need to account for the fruit sugars somehow when doing the calculatons for priming sugar?
I dont want to make bombs by adding too much sugar!

If u add fruit to the sEcondary, (I'm making a peach wheat) do u need to account for the fruit sugars somehow when doing the calculatons for priming sugar?
I dont want to make bombs by adding too much sugar!

if you let the second fermentation complete then there shouldnt be as much fermentable sugars left over. so it shouldnt affect your calculations too much.

It is always best to add your fruit to secondary, and ensure that it has fermented all of the way out. Normally I will rack onto fruit and allow it to stand for at least 10 days, in my experience this has been long enough for the secondary fermentation to finish.

FWIW, I have had bottled beer become gushers from not conditioning long enough before opening one, by that I mean the co2 had not absorbed all the way into solution.

this is my process also. and has great results

Back