Citra Hops- Commercial brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making an IPA with some citra hops, but from what I've read here, they seem to be a bit tricky to use well. I plan on only having late additions and dry hopping with the citra.

Does anyone know of any commercial beers beside SN Torpedo that uses citra, or is it just too new of a hop? It would be nice to get more of a taste for it before using them.

Why do you say tricky? I just did my first batch with them, used Nugget for bittering, and Citra at 20 and flameout. The best received IPA i've ever made.

I keep preaching: Citra at 15min is delicious.

My IPA is Warrior for bittering, Citra @15, Wliiamette @0, Cascade Dry.

I guess tricky was not really what I should have said. I've just heard they can leave some funky tastes when used for bittering. And don't get me wrong, I love Torpedo IPA, but that's the only time I've tasted citra, so I was wondering if there were other commercial beers with them, or if they were too new to have that yet.

I'm glad your IPA with Nugget and Citra turned out, since my thought was to use Nugget for bittering, then Amarillo and Citra at 5 min and dryhopping.

I just bottled an IIPA with a lot of citra used. I split citra and cascade at 10 and 5 then dry hopped with equal parts of each. Next batch if I like this will have Citra only as flavor and might use it as bittering hop to see how it does.

I have heard of this funky bitter flavor, but I don't know what that means. I did an MO/Citra Smash and it was delightful.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the Widmer. Not sure that I can get to Victory for that beer.

i asked a local microbrewery about their experiences with citra just last weekend. the brewmaster said it made an astringent flavor if used as a bittering hop but it is great for the last 15-20 minutes in the boil. i asked him about hopbursting with citra and he said, "DO IT!!!"

OK, I think I'm sold on the Citra, even without trying another beer with their use. What do you guys think of this recipe?

9lbs 2-row
3lbs Munich
10oz 60L Crystal
9oz Corn Sugar (5-min boil)

1oz Nugget- 60 min
.5oz Amarillo, .5oz Citra at 20min, 15min, 10min, 5min each
1oz Amarillo- Dry hop
1oz Citra- Dry hop

US-05 yeast

I have to say, I have not salivated this much thinking about my next brew before. Also, this will be my official first all-grain. Need to get a bigger brew pot though...

I'm going to stay away from the Simcoe this time. Good, but not my favorite variety.

And I'm really going for less of a pale look and more of a orange-ish/red look, slightly redder than Nugget Nectar, say. While keeping a malty back-bone to balance it out, would you still say back off on the Munich?

On second thought, not any darker than Nugget Nectar actually.

i did an ipa (10# belgian, 1#each of dextrine and flaked barley) centennial for 60min, 1oz citra 10min, 1oz citra 5min, 1oz citra knockout, and dry hopped with about .75oz citra. everyone really liked it - very citrus with all the other (very subtle) exotic fruit nuances that everyone describes. i think your recipe will be fine but don't be afraid to make some of the late additions citra only. you'll enjoy the beer. Cheers!

Just picked up some Widmer Sunburn tonight. I'll have to report back later on the Citra hops.

Ok, so the beer isn't ready just yet. But I bottled it today and took a sample. Hot damn. I am sold on Citra hops.

Went with a light munich malt, and added 3oz of corn sugar in the secondary to try to dry it out. This is going to be a long 2-3 week wait for it to be ready.

I dry hopped my first beer (a Columbus/Cascade kit IPA) with an ounce of Citra to give it a little more aroma. When I bottled, I was absolutely astounded at the fruitiness of it - it smelled like a smoothie and had an overpowering taste of bubblegum. 3 weeks later, it has blended very nicely with the Columbus and Cascade. Awesome hop.

Back