Fining question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
I've finished a batch of EW Apfelwein using Red Star Champagne yeast. It's been in primary for a month and it is clear as a bell with a super-thin layer of trub on the bottom. It still has a noticed yeast taste and I want that gone so I've been doing some research on fining agents.

I am now more confused than when I started. My first thought was to use gelatin, but that seems to be for tannins and proteins and not for yeast drop-out. Then I heard egg whites were great for yeast drop-out and others said eggs won't do anything for yeast. I've recently flirted with the idea of Isinglass as a perfect solution but some have said that it does practically nothing unless you cold crash your beer which I can't do (as I live in Florida and have no available fridge space).

So bottom line. Pretend you had a product you were psyched about that was crystal clear but still retained a heavy yeast taste, indicating many yeast particles floating around unseen. How would you get rid of them quickly?

Thanks for all your help.

Do you by any chance have the ability to cold crash the Apfelwine? I have heard that cold crashing your batch will allow for the yeasties to fall out of suspension quite quickly. Give it a good 2-3 days in there and you should be much better. Seeing that you're in Orlando though, you may not have the capabilities to drop the temp like we do here in Cleveland, Ohio!

Correct, gelatin won't help promote yeast settling. However, polycar and isinglass are both excellent yeast fining agents. Cold crashing (most common method) works well too but is slower.

The best method for separating suspended yeast from beer is a centrifuge. If only... :rolleyes:

The best cure for yeasty taste is time. Another month would be a big improvement. I don't know of any quicker way that would give good results. One month just isn't really long enough to get rid of the yeasty taste.

Back