Giving beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've always wanted to give my beer out. One problem is that I don't really have any close friends who can appreciate my beer. Another is that I'm still working on consistently making good beer.

The third thing is that I've always wondered how much beer I could give out, or if I really, legally, could. (not that I've cared, just curious).

Turns out, in Michigan, you can give out 20 gallons to each person per year. Citing sources, Michigan Compiled Laws Chapter 436, Act 58 of 1998, Chapter 2, Section 436.1207

"436.1207 Exceptions to act.

(b) Beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider of any alcoholic content made on the premises by the owner or lessee of those premises provided those premises are used and occupied by that owner or lessee as a dwelling and the beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider is made for family use and home consumption.

(c) The gift to an individual for noncommercial use or consumption of up to 20 gallons of beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider produced under the circumstances described in subdivision (b). This subdivision does not allow a person less than 21 years of age to possess, receive as a gift, or give beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider produced under the circumstances described in subdivision (b).

So, I have no worries, as I'm still lucky to make 20 gallons in a year anyway. I need to get this remodeling done and brew some more!

Join a local homebrew club. Share your beer, drink theirs and learn how to make your brew better.

Yes, that would be fun. Perhaps when I get caught up on my house I can brew more and get with others and share experiences. For now I have this place while at work...

Darn, you're a little bit too far away from me to drop by for a beer or 3....But there's a new brewer who introduced himself tonday from Cadillac....you two should hook up.

:mug:

I trade beer with the only other brewer I know in the Houston area. Both of us spend more time lately with our chain saws than our brew pots.

Funny... we have two electrical breakers on at our house right now. One supplies the Travel Trailer we are living in at the moment, the other supplies a refrigerator and my "fermentation chamber" ( a freezer on a thermal over ride). Have made a batch of Apfelwien, a blonde ale, and a belgian dubbel to fill it back up. The heck with IKE... beer and reconstruction must go on!

It's a good feeling to swap beers with others. Sometimes you both get something you truly like... Lol... so if you have too much lying around, feel free to mail me some as "yeast samples". heard that's the easiest way to slip them through the mail if you have to declare what it is.... :)

Give away as much as you want. It's when you sell it that things get sticky with the law.

With the Feds, you mean. Local laws are tricky. Here in the People's Republik of New Jersey, a lot of things are presumed illegal and allowed to certain individuals only by exemption and with a laundry list of restrictions. Nasty, evil things that no self-respecting Citizen should even be thinking about relying on themselves for.

Darn, you're a little bit too far away from me to drop by for a beer or 3....But there's a new brewer who introduced himself tonday from Cadillac....you two should hook up.

:mug:

Yeah, we should totally figure out how to get together for a homebrew party. I'd love to taste some real homebrew.

I've got a couple guys at work that I always bring a few bottles of my latest brews to. I expect them to give me an honest feedback and my old bottles back, nothing else. They always seem to enjoy it and I get a couple more viewpoints on how things came out.

You could always find someone on here willing to accept a beer package. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some constructive criticism as well.

I've got a couple guys at work that I always bring a few bottles of my latest brews to. I expect them to give me an honest feedback and my old bottles back, nothing else. They always seem to enjoy it and I get a couple more viewpoints on how things came out.

Yeah, I frequently bring homebrew in for my office colleagues. Out of the four of us on the floor, two homebrew and all appreciate good beer. Everyone understands you return bottles... sometimes even full. If I ever look for another job, I think the interview would have to include a question from me about what everyone in the office thinks about beer.

You could always find someone on here willing to accept a beer package. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some constructive criticism as well.

I'm a newbie here and I'll definitely accept a beer package to learn some styles I never tried before (Russian Imperial Stout, Saison, Barlewine, Apfelwein, etc) ;) I will also pay for full s/h ;)

My first batch will be bottled on Saturday and I will definitely share it with my coworkers. One of them likes New Castle and I'm sure I'll give him a few litres of it :)

Back