150-pound cougar shot dead on Chicago's North Side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytsejam

Reaction score
Associated Press - April 14, 2008 9:24 PM ET

CHICAGO (AP) - Chicago police say an officer shot and killed a 150-pound cougar on the city's North Side.

Police say several residents reporting seeing the cat, which was more than 5-foot long, earlier Monday. It was shot dead in an alley.

One witness says the cougar leapt over a 6-foot tall wrought-iron fence.

Authorities say the animal's body will be checked for any markings, chips or tags that would show if it is owned by anyone.

Authorities in suburban Wilmette say they received several calls on Sunday reporting alleged cougar sightings. Police searched, but did not locate the animal.

Confirmed cougar sightings are rare in Illinois.

http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=8166091&nav=1sW7

Wow!
Bad Kitty!

I prefer my ladies a little lighter than that, but if she's on the tall side, a cougar in the 150-pound-range might be something I'd be interested in taking home....

Sir Humpsalot said:
I prefer my ladies a little lighter than that, but if she's on the tall side, a cougar in the 150-pound-range might be something I'd be interested in taking home....

She did jump over a 6 foot tall fence, so she is obviously athletic. It might be worthwhile to climb that tree....

They should have called me in I am a professional cougar hunter, I even have the t-shirt to prove it!

I wonder what caliber they used? Did they use their service pistols, prolly 9mm or .40 cal? Or did they break out the 5.56mm? How many shots did it take? Im tryin to determine how effective standard auto pistols are at woods protection, namely black bears and mountain lions. Its not everyday that you hear about mountain lions being shot by police, so Im curious what they used.

Judging by the news reports in Chicagoland, looks like they used their service pistols. Cornered the cat once, fired a bunch of shots (all missed); cat ran away and jumped the fence. Cops cornered it again, fired a bunch more shots, got it. Varying reports on the number of shots, between 20-30 total. There's a vido on CNN.com showing a bunch of shell casings on the ground.

Neighbors were freaked out by the (somewhat wild and random) gunfire, including one guy who had a bullet come through his window AC unit.

[ame]http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/04/15/dnt.il.cougar.shot.wls[/ame]

Tell that to the PDX cops EdWort, they dropped a guy with 8 rounds in him before he hit the ground....

He jumped out of a second story window. All shots made mid-air.

Klainmeister said:
Tell that to the PDX cops EdWort, they dropped a guy with 8 rounds in him before he hit the ground....

Interesting. That's good shooting. Managed to lead him on the way down before he reached terminal velocity.

Why the hell would you shoot a guy jumping from a 2nd story window? Just let gravity take care of it for you...

e lo said:
Why the hell would you shoot a guy jumping from a 2nd story window? Just let gravity take care of it for you...

That's what i am trying to say. PDX police don't mess around.

uglygoat said:
cougars in chicagoland. obviously global warming...

Next it will be Ostriches in Oshkosh. Somebody call AlGore, he'll get on his private jet, buy some carbon credits from himself, and fly up there for a press conference.

Klainmeister said:

8 shots hit him... out of how many?;) They might have fired 200.

So real life CAN be just like the A*Team, where there's hundreds of rounds but nobody gets killed.

I'm surprised the PDX police didn't tazer him 8 times before he hit the ground instead. They do love dem tazers around here yessirree...

Latest posts

Back