The Electric Knub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theknub

Reaction score
yeah... still working on a real name...

so been a long time lurker, only recently posting, and finally decided to make a 15 gallon eherms build. i am in an apartment now and wanted something that i can use now and later. i considered gas but not allowed in my complex and the cost was too out of control.

one lesson learned, even with a lot of cutting oil, stainless can be a pain in the ass to drill. i ruined my old kettle i was going to use for my herms, which is why there are no pics for the hlt as i wait for the new one. obviously every experience is different but i broke down and got a punch, save yourself a headache / money and do it with a holesaw or punch if doing anything over an inch. not saying it can't be done, just my experience.

i have to give a major shout out to pj for his diagrams, kal for the inspiration and other techniques, tiber and warogany (sp?) for their builds and ideas... and there are probably another 10 or 200 people who influenced me.

so without further ado....

the original toolbox
IMAG0053_zps3a0dbf04.jpg

the cut down tray for a back panel
IMAG0056_zps9273ec47.jpg

the cut box
IMAG0059_zpsaaa62361.jpg

installed components
IMAG0065_zps69e4931e.jpg

IMAG0066_zps6e935361.jpg

IMAG0067_zpsd6c1dae9.jpg

test plugin
IMAG0073_zps13c13513.jpg

first heat
IMAG0079_zps75a5248d.jpg

IMAG0081_zpsd312e1ce.jpg

we have boil
IMAG0085_zpse34a02b6.jpg

and a short video

and the HLT is basically complete....

IMAG01151_zpse3038b31.jpg

IMAG01161_zps9a2e3cce.jpg

IMAG01171_zps907c081b.jpg

so i know everything works at this point, leak test has passed on all counts. just waiting on a few connectors from bobby so i can build one more hose, do a pbw clean, simulate a brew day and rock...

oh, and this also works well for sous vide, but that is the cook nerd in me talking.

Control box looks good.

What's the issue with the other kettle - is there no chance of salvaging it?

there is a chance, but i have to go the tri-clove route and a 2" hole. it's a cheap kettle and the stainless looks like it "cracked" a bit. if i do this, i may just use it as a small hlt / use it for sous vide cooking.

there is a chance, but i have to go the tri-clove route and a 2" hole. it's a cheap kettle and the stainless looks like it "cracked" a bit. if i do this, i may just use it as a small hlt / use it for sous vide cooking.

Could you rivet a patch over and solder the seams?

Could you rivet a patch over and solder the seams?

thought about it, it's one of the bass pro shop turkey fryer pots, so while it served a purpose, isn't very "high end." i think the whole kit was about $100, so i'm not crying too much if it isn't a cheap fix. i just haven't looked too much into it since it happened on saturday and the new pot shipped today.

Are you going stainless for your MLT or rubbermaid? If the latter, how do you plan on monitoring temps in there?

I have a rubbermaid setup myself (sans the HERMS), and had kicked the idea of adding one in the future for added flexibility.

im using rubbermaid. short term, i plan to monitor mash temp at the output of my herms coil. just a t fitting with a 1.5 inch probe.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=249

long term, you can see i left enough space in the middle of my lid for another PID. so when the time (money) comes, i will add my second pump and a pid in the middle and do it like kal does; one at the outflow of the mash tun and one on the recirc of the hlt.

so first brew day yesterday. made a saison and hit all of my numbers and 88% efficiency

IMAG01201_zpsec13b910.jpg

you're not brewing if you're not boiling over (at least i know everything is watertight)

IMAG01211_zps46cb5a29.jpg

you're not brewing if you're not boiling over (at least i know everything is watertight)

IMAG01211_zps46cb5a29.jpg

Why do I sense that you're not married? At my house, a boil over onto the kitchen floor means hell to pay from SWMBO! :p

bigtex52 said:
Why do I sense that you're not married? At my house, a boil over onto the kitchen floor means hell to pay from SWMBO! :p
:off:
Heh, mine can hear a starter go over from clear across the house - "uh ... what was that?" "@$%* ... - nothing!"

The setup looks great. Did you try Kal's suggestion of the ratcheting hole punch on the kettle? I'm planning to do something similar around Xmas (when it gets painful to brew outside). Planning on buying those tools in the near future.

lol, no not married but moving in with the GF in the fall. we have both agreed that the patio/deck/garage will be an acceptable brew spot :)

as for the punch, i did pick up a greenlee and used that.

theknub said:
lol, no not married but moving in with the GF in the fall. we have both agreed that the patio/deck/garage will be an acceptable brew spot :)

as for the punch, i did pick up a greenlee and used that.

How did you find working with the greenlee? Clean hole, easy to use?

super simple and clean hole. it "hurt" to shell out that money. now that i have it, i'm glad. just that initial expense was tough....

I second the Greenlee punches. Definitely worth the money. Slices through like butta. I bought 3 sizes for a Kal clone build and very glad I did.

Looks like you using a switchcraft connector for the element if I am correct. How's that working out for you? I just ordered 3 pairs of them today.

i have them on my box and (obviously) kettle in. so far, so great. no issues. i've done probably 4-5 different tests and two full brews with zero issues.

i would certainly recomend the setup. maybe not for full power to the box, but box to kettle is fantastic

I like the Switchcrafts.. will be ordering some more my setup. Someone also slapped an LED light on their element box, another idea that I'm going to steal.

Great-looking setup.

I'm also amazed at the sheer number of SWMBOs who get cranky about home brewing... When I was brewing in the kitchen, it would get absolutely trashed (especially bottling time)... my girl not only didn't get upset, she helped me trash the place. :ban:

thanks, i saw that led light but didn't add something else that might fail....

my SWMBO cares but really as long as i clean up, no big deal. we move in together in the fall and every place we look at i tell her where i'd brew... she seems a-ok with all of it (that, and i make a stout that she absolutely loves.

Back