Airlock bubbling again in secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31FIFTY

Reaction score
When my beer was in primary this morning the airlock was completely still and the little plastic piece was completely resting. I see that as no positive pressure.

I racked to secondary a few hours ago and now I have some bubbling and positive pressure again. IS THIS OK? I did feel like I got too much air during the syphoning process. Is it because it's oxygenated now?

Scared newbie....

Probably not from an addition of oxygen, more likely to be from agitation causing the cO2 in suspension to come out.

I have had it happen before. Just from disturbing it you may start it actively fermenting again. Mine usually slows considerably within a day or so.

yup probably just Co2 gassing off, even if you stirred up some yeast in the transfer, they are just eatin a little more. Definetely not something to worry about either way. Good Luck

+1 to degassing... Also a possibility the transfer stirred things up enough to get the yeast to munch a bit more. Regardless both options are good because it works to create the blanket of CO2 over the beer.

More than likely it is bubbling again for environmental reasons; change in temp, barometric pressure, truck rolling by on the street kicking trapped co2 in the trub, the cat rubbing up against it, the dog trying to hump it.....

Thanks guys. Something was going on with the tubing and I had quite a bit of oxygen so I was concerned. The yeast going at it again is good. GOOD!

My first batch was amazing, one of the top 5 brown ales my circle of friends has enjoyed. The next 3 sucked. Really counting on this batch before I get discouraged.

Actually, I don't believe I've yet made a batch with Simcoe...just heard the rumors. Finished bottling a batch of APA with Amarillo and Citra just about an hour ago. Didn't smell like cat pee to me but I understand why it's called Citra though. :rockin:

Back