Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy - Round 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy is closed. We haven't done hopes on these buys...keep a look out...I plan on starting a new one next weekend. For those who participated in this buy I will get invoices out as soon as I can Also due to the fact that I did not buy anything I am not going to accept donations from anyone. If you had access to this buy or any previous you will have access to the next.

Whoops! Didn't read the last post and didn't catch that this was closed.

I added one bag to the sheet, which you can and obviously will, ignore. I also noticed that the column before me (buyer 12 I believe) might have been messed up. The buyer's name didn't populate down through all of the sections. I would go back and fix it, but I don't want to cause any more confusion.

Thanks for doing this, and I hope to jump on the next one.

Adam

I'm in for the next 1 for sure. I went through my 2-Row faster than I anticipated. I even had an unopened sack before the group buy.

I'd anticipate buying at least 3 sacks, all base grain.

Has there been any movement on closing this buy and moving onto the next one? I can also lend a hand in the next buy if needed.

Last word from organizer was on 9-24-12, haven't heard anything since then. I think this one is DEAD. :(

Even if it revives, I would want to review any price changes and change my order if there have been significant increases in the price of malt.

Last word from organizer was on 9-24-12, haven't heard anything since then. I think this one is DEAD. :(

Even if it revives, I would want to review any price changes and change my order if there have been significant increases in the price of malt.

It's not dead, it's closed. The organizer stated that on 9/24/2012. Each round starts a new thread so keep an eye out.

Edit: looks like you were part of this buy so you probably know something i don't. If it's stalled due to lack of interest i need 4 or 5 sacks if that would help...

The buy was full so it closed on 9-24-12. But there has been no word from the organizer since then, so nothing ever happened.

Did he ever collect money for the last buy? If not are those involved in the last buy willing to scrap it and start over? Anyone willing or able to lead? I don't know that I have the necessary free time regularly to keep up with the buy but I would be willing to help out in anyway possible. I'm good with spreadsheets and don't live too far from monroeville if we're able to use the same location as the last buy. Interested in getting everyone's thoughts. I agree with everyone I hope dand is alright.

I am interested in a new group buy. I would probably get 3-4 sacks. I am in the current one for 2 sacks and will still honor that if it moves forward.

The issue is that someone needs a current account with country malts in order to place an order. I am in this one for 7 sacks. Would love to get it moving...

I'm ok with starting over, also ok with finishing this one. All we need is someone to do the organizational work, I hope Dand9066 is ok.

I believe either Bugman or sleepy was the one with the account already set up that we were able to use last time but I'm not sure what dand did behind the scenes to get this processed on the account. If we can get that worked out I know I'm gonna be in a for quite a few bags and could help with organization. The only issue left outstanding would be money. I know that was a headache for dand with PayPal. So that would be something else we would need to figure out. If there is an easy way to open this back up rather than kill it I'm all for that too. Either way I need grain bad!!

I'll give country malts a call today and check the requirements for opening an account. I can also handle $ collection - just need to figure out how to avoid additional fees from PayPal.

Three requests
- Can someone get a final confirmation that this order is canceled?
- Can someone follow-up with sleepy or bugmen to see if their account can be used again?
- Can I get 1-2 volunteers to manage the order sheet?

The trick to PayPal is you have to send the money as a gift and it has to come out of your bank account otherwise they will charge a fee.

jchawk said:
The trick to PayPal is you have to send the money as a gift and it has to come out of your bank account otherwise they will charge a fee.

I think that is what we did last time with PayPal I would have to read through the last thread to confirm. However we did it last time they froze dands PayPal account and gave him all kinds of b.s. he did send invoices through them too so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it or not. Long story short it was a giant PIA for him and they said he couldn't do it again. Something we will have to figure out.

I think that is what we did last time with PayPal I would have to read through the last thread to confirm. However we did it last time they froze dands PayPal account and gave him all kinds of b.s. he did send invoices through them too so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it or not. Long story short it was a giant PIA for him and they said he couldn't do it again. Something we will have to figure out.

Why not just calculate the PayPal fee and we'll add to the price? It's fairly minimal and would avoid the disruption/hardships.

I don't know what the fee is but if its minimal like you say then I'm all for grossing up the payments by the fee. The grain will still still be far cheaper than buying it at the HBS.

Just took a look at the PayPal website, the fees to the seller are 2.9% + $.30 per transaction. I think Dand ran into problems by sending invoices from PP, that made it look to them like he was a vendor selling stuff and they wanted their cut. I don't mind paying the transaction fees ($3.30 on $100 worth of grain), of course if we don't have to pay them... If the invoices were made up on Excel and emailed out, then the money was transferred as a personal payment I wonder if that would flag the PP system to investigate the recipient? Sudden transfers of large amounts from 20 - 30 people might alert their system.

I looked at another group, the York - Lancaster group, they didn't use PayPal. Everyone sent checks to the buyer and the order was placed once the checks were in hand, as long as everyone gets their check in the mail as soon as they get a final price this would work. Looks like it went well for the York group. All it takes is for one person to drag their feet and the order doesn't get placed, but that could happen with PayPal transfers as well.

Or we give everyone 10 days or something to get their checks in and whoever misses the deadline is out. Maybe a little longer than 10 days but a reasonable amount of time so that feet dragging doesn't happen. Just a thought.

I,ve tried calling dand but still no reply. as for payments on a new buy i'm ok with whatever is decided. i'm really low on grains too

I got a hold of the country malt folks and will get them the application info back today. I also have the price list. Checks are fine by me, as is PayPal. Let's assume check payment for now, and we can do PayPal (if viable) for folks who don't mind the extra fee.

All - here's the info for rebooted grain buy sign up.

Please send an email to [email protected] with the following information...
~First & Last Name
~HBT Username
~Contact Number
~Address
~Payment method (check or PayPal) - Confirm Paypal® address is the same as email using or give your Paypal® Address.

Latest posts

Back