Anyone watching Cavemen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
My GOD - as bad as I thought this show could be, It's actually WORSE. Not even one slightly funny incident before the first commercial break.

I was sort of hoping for so stupid it's funny, but not even close - just ....lame.

I saw it, but was distracted most of the time. The guy from Reno 911 was pretty funny and if he is going to be a regular, the show could have potential. I'll give it a few episodes to get it right, remember Seinfeld wasn't any good it's first season either.

SWMBO and I were watching it and about 15 minutes in she stopped it and said "this sucks" and it has since disappeared from our Tivo.

Just seemed to me that they took the script from a 'black urban yuppie' comedy script that was deemed 'too racially charged' and replaced every instance of 'black man' with 'caveman'.

It was a mildly amusing commercial spot but there's just not enough meat on that bone to make 22-43 minutes of program with.

Here's to hoping that someone puts a bullet in that dog before its next airtime.

I could tell it was probably going to suck just from the previews ive seen. I never really even found those GEICO commercials funny.

This goddamned joke should have ended with the very first Geico commercial. It was clever. Not funny, but clever. So easy, a caveman could do it...and a caveman gets offended. Ha Ha fu*king Ha. That was clever. Not gonna make me buy car insurance, but at least it was sort of clever. Now, on to the next commercial.

But like all good things that should end, they dragged it out over an entire series of commercials that all rested on the same stale concept. To make it into a teevee show just shows how pathetically inept and uncreative Hollywood is these days.

And I swear, if I see a TV show or movie starring that smarmy little asswipe gecko with the aussie accent, I'm gonna make someone pay...

I had a couple laughs watching it, but I think it's gonna tank.

I myself love the Geico commercials. My buddy was going to have a halloween kegger this year, and I wanted to go as a geico Caveman (or as Ali G.)!

Kayos said:
Geez, Evan. Maybe some coffee before posting next time?

I've had plenty of coffee this morning :D

Do you know how sickeningly pathetic it is that brilliant shows like Arrested Development and Freaks & Geeks get canceled, while mindless idiocy like this and "1 vs 100" and "Biggest Loser" fill the airwaves? No offense to anyone who likes any of those shows, but in the words of Gob, COME ON!

Evan! said:

Do you know how sickeningly pathetic it is that brilliant shows like Arrested Development and Freaks & Geeks get canceled, while mindless idiocy like this and "1 vs 100" and "Biggest Loser" fill the airwaves? No offense to anyone who likes any of those shows, but in the words of Gob, COME ON!

All this "reality TV" makes me crazy. SWMBO watches it all: Survivor, Dancing With The Stars, Americas next Top Model, Big Brother, etc, etc. And she watches all the new game shows too. I can barely get in an episode of CSI or How Its Made!

Evan! said:

My boss has a brother in the TV script writing business. He's told me about several GREAT concepts for shows that his brother has pitched that were passed on. It's amazing to me to see some of the crap that gets on the air when there are some really outside-of-the-box, creative ideas out there that never get a chance.

talleymonster said:
All this "reality TV" makes me crazy. SWMBO watches it all: Survivor, Dancing With The Stars, Americas next Top Model, Big Brother, etc, etc. And she watches all the new game shows too. I can barely get in an episode of CSI or How Its Made!

Most people's lives are boring, so they have all these reality shows and they encourage/foster drama and conflicts so that people think that life is really like this. I am a FIRM believer that the vast majority of "reality" shows have a crying clause in the contracts with the participants. You know, every time you cry on camera, you get a $5k bonus when you leave the show. What else can explain the incessant bawling on all these shows?

rdwj said:
My boss has a brother in the TV script writing business. He's told me about several GREAT concepts for shows that his brother has pitched that were passed on. It's amazing to me to see some of the crap that gets on the air when there are some really outside-of-the-box, creative ideas out there that never get a chance.

Or the great shows that get canceled. Rarely have a laughed like I laughed at Arrested Development.

Remember when Family Guy got canceled, and the online community got like 10 trillion signatures to bring them back? I dunno if anyone else remembers this, but the very first episode after they came back had this opening sequence where Peter was like "hey, maybe we'll get back on the air if all these shows get cancelled..." and then they run through the like 4 dozen shows that had been on Fox and subsequently canceled since Family Guy was last on...and then they cut the opening credits. It was a brilliant, searing jab at Fox's (and other networks') ineptness and disconnection from true quality.

I watched "Reaper" last night. A bit "Buffy", but pretty darn clever. Although the Devil is too nice of a guy and much of the premise doesn't make a lot of sense.

Evan! said:
Most people's lives are boring, so they have all these reality shows and they encourage/foster drama and conflicts so that people think that life is really like this. I am a FIRM believer that the vast majority of "reality" shows have a crying clause in the contracts with the participants. You know, every time you cry on camera, you get a $5k bonus when you leave the show. What else can explain the incessant bawling on all these shows?

They look for the drama queens when casting.

There is really only one reality show I can take - Ultimate Fighter. Ya, they have some of the silly drama, but they eventually get to beat the **** out of each other. And several of the guys on the show have actually made it big in the UFC.

I also like shows like Orange County Choppers and Miami / LA Ink, but those aren't really reality shows in my book.

Evan! said:

So Evan, I take it you watched Big Brother 8 this year! I admit I watche most of it with SWMBO. That one chick Amber, cried every single time she got on camera! I've seen montages on YouTue! that people have made that are juts clips of her crying!:cross:

talleymonster said:
So Evan, I take it you watched Big Brother 8 this year! I admit I watche most of it with SWMBO. That one chick Amber, cried every single time she got on camera! I've seen montages on YouTue! that people have made that are juts clips of her crying!:cross:

yah, the wife watches it so I usually catch most of the eps. That ***** was horrible. I bet she made more than the winner of the show via her crying bonuses. I mean, even when she wasn't crying, she looked like she was gonna cry at any moment. People like that should have their tear ducts surgically sewn shut.

Evan! said:
Or the great shows that get canceled. Rarely have a laughed like I laughed at Arrested Development.

Remember when Family Guy got canceled, and the online community got like 10 trillion signatures to bring them back? I dunno if anyone else remembers this, but the very first episode after they came back had this opening sequence where Peter was like "hey, maybe we'll get back on the air if all these shows get cancelled..." and then they run through the like 4 dozen shows that had been on Fox and subsequently canceled since Family Guy was last on...and then they cut the opening credits. It was a brilliant, searing jab at Fox's (and other networks') ineptness and disconnection from true quality.

Arrested Dev was excellent. I honestly thought it was some sort of marketing ploy when I found out it was getting cancelled. I liked that Family Guy bit. Too bad the show isn't what it used to be. The first season back was pretty good, but the stuff they're doing now is pretty weak.

rdwj said:
I liked that Family Guy bit. Too bad the show isn't what it used to be. The first season back was pretty good, but the stuff they're doing now is pretty weak.

Yeah, back then Stewies sole purpose was to kill Lois. The writers have tamed him quite a bit.:(

But I still love Family Guy!

I like American dad, too. It's like Family Guy, but much more political.:D

rdwj said:
Arrested Dev was excellent. I honestly thought it was some sort of marketing ploy when I found out it was getting cancelled. I liked that Family Guy bit. Too bad the show isn't what it used to be. The first season back was pretty good, but the stuff they're doing now is pretty weak.

FG is funny, but South Park hit it right on the head with their description of it as a bunch of disconnected jokes.

Seems like everything is a "Remember the time when I..." joke on FG these days.

Though it's not what it used to be FamGuy is still better than 99% of the rest of the junk out there on the networks. I just ordered vols 4 & 5 from Amazon.

Cheesefood said:
FG is funny, but South Park hit it right on the head with their description of it as a bunch of disconnected jokes.

It's pretty much always been like that...unapologetically so. Any show could be reduced to one essence, even the great ones. Yeah, South Park did hit the nail on the head, but Family Guy is still funny (unlike some shows I know *cough cough SIMPSONS cough cough*). I rather like their series of disconnected jokes.

All I read was the title of this thread, but I can honestly say that I think I'd rather spend 30 minutes repeatedly slamming my nads in a car door than spend 3 minutes watching a tv show about the Geico cavemen.

talleymonster said:

It sounds like you need a dvr, TM.

ohiobrewtus said:
All I read was the title of this thread, but I can honestly say that I think I'd rather spend 30 minutes repeatedly slamming my nads in a car door than spend 3 minutes watching a tv show about the Geico cavemen.

Wow, really? I mean, there's a lot of unenjoyable things I'd rather be doing than watching Cavemen, but even then, slamming my boys in a car door even once has to be at the very bottom of that list. As horrible as Cavemen is, there are worse things...including but not limited to getting your nuts closed in a car door.

there is nothing worth watching on primetime tv on the big 3. Discovery channel has the best shows on tv. Fox is a given on Sunday night.

bigjohnmilford said:
there is nothing worth watching on primetime tv on the big 3. Discovery channel has the best shows on tv. Fox is a given on Sunday night.

+1.

Discovey Channel, A&E (First 48, Intervention), History Channel... that pretty much covers 95% of my non-sports viewing. A wee bit of Discovery Health, and sometimes a little bit of Court TV. I'll drive my wife nuts and sit and watch public access, too :D

Evan! said:

I will admit that I was disappointed when Firefly and John Doe were cancelled. The online community was able to get a Movie made for Firefly, but still no reemergence on television.

P.S. I realize I have surpassed 1000 posts and need to make amends.

Cheesefood said:

When DOESN'T South Park hit the nail right on the head. God, that's a great show!! Don't forget - new episodes starting tonight!! Set the DVR!!

bigjohnmilford said:

The Office, How I Met Your Mother, umm, ...that's all I have.

I miss having BBC America; used to watch that ALL the time. The British "Coupling" was one of the funniest shows EVER; I would cackle like an insane hyenia when it was on.

There's another BBC show that I've been watching a lot of on YouTube, "The IT Crowd."

SWMBO and I still turn on the TV everyday at 4:00 to watch America's Funniest Home Videos. Just as long as it's not the season that John Fugelsang and Daisy Fuentes hosted....they plain old effin' sucked.

I haven't read a damned thing in this thread.

How does a show that everone seems to agree that sucks, warrant so much analysis?

Maybe I should go back and read.
Go figure.

i think they all together stopped making sitcoms for men. Any show you turn on has more commercials for "blue liquid" products than for beer and tools.

I watch The Office, the Simpson's, Family Guy, Scrubs, and The Colbert Report. Other than that, it's either sports or whatever the wife is watching.

Speaking of TV, there's supposed to be a great Baseball game on tonight.

the_bird said:
There's another BBC show that I've been watching a lot of on YouTube, "The IT Crowd."

Ok, I watched the season two first episode over lunch. Now THAT is funny. Thanks for the suggestion

Back