Pecan Chai Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
Pecan Chai Porter (P.C.P.):

Batch Size 3 gal

OG: 1.045
FG: 1.011
IBU's: 36

Grain bill: AG
5lbs 2-row
4oz Chocolate Wheat
4oz Black Patent Malt
3oz Caramel 60

Grain Bill: PM
2lb 10oz Pale Liquid Extract
1lb 3 oz 2-Row
4 oz Chocolate Wheat
4 oz Black Patent Malt
2 oz Caramel 60

Mash all grains and Pecans (roasted and crushed. directions for roasting at bottom) at 153* for 60'.

Boil additions:
.5 oz Challenger (7.5% AA) @ 60'
.5 oz EK Golding (5% AA) @ 15'
.5 oz EK Golding (5% AA) @ 5'
2 oz Chai @ 5'

Ferment at 68* with Nottingham until FG is reached. Secondary is optional if more chai flavor is desired it may be dry "chai'd"

ROASTING
Place pecans on cookie sheet at 275 for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. These burn very easy so keep an eye on them. Crush pecans before adding to mash. This can be done with grain mill, rolling pin, or any wacky kitchen gadget you have.

This sounds delicious! Going to brew this tonight. Curious as to what chai you used and how strong of a flavor the 2 oz. gave it? Thanks.

Originally I used 2 oz of starbucks chai tea. I have a friend who makes her own chai so next time i'm gonna get a blend from her and adjust it accordingly.

So you just add the loose leaf tea into the brew kettle and it gets strained out with the hops? I've got some nice local organic chai that I'm going to try out.

yeah i throw it in the boil. Loose leaf tea needs about 4-5 minutes to steep to fully impart it's flavor and aroma as a tea so i applied that same principle to adding it in the beer. You can also dry hop with it later.

Finally ended up brewing this last night. I overlooked the fact that it was a 3gal batch, so I ended up throwing in 2.25 lbs light DME at 5' for our 5gal batch.

Smelled great, cant wait to try it out!

I hope it goes well for you. Mine is on deck to get kegged and dry chai'd this week. I'm thinkin of sending this in to the longshot contest for some pro feedback.

Mine turned out alright. Here's what i would change though. I would add the chai in steeping bag at flameoutt for 4' (rather than in the boil as i did), I would also do about 1 to 1.5oz instead of 2. I would keep the pecans in the mash but also throw some in the boil as well possibly to steep with the tea. It didn't have as much pecan flavor as i would have liked. Lastly when i brew this again i'm going to have it ready when it's colder out. This is definately not a warm weather beer. Remember the recipe is for 3 gallons

I had great reviews about this been while sharing with friends. Even my co-workers who dont really like beer loved this brew.

I plan to tweak this into a 5gal all grain that uses pumpkin. Pumpkin Chai Porter.

Thanks for sharing this, Jester.

Thanks for the recipe.

Just put mine in the fermenter yesterday. Smelled fantastic! Only my second mash and first time working with adjuncts.

Didn't see info on the amount of pecans to use, so based on some other recipes I read went with .5 lbs., thinking I could add pecans to taste in the secondary if the pecan flavor came up short. Used 1.5 oz. Teavana Maharaja chai at flameout for 5'. As expected, I got a lot of chai and not a lot of pecan but tasted like it has great potential. OG came in at 1.052.

I plan to rack to 3 1-gallon secondaries with the thought to keep 1 as the base, 1 added with pecans to taste (hope that works), and 1 to play with other flavor additions, dry chai or vanilla maybe (taking suggestions).

I'll take gravity readings but any thoughts on how long to leave in the primary before moving?

Also any ideas on how long to leave the additions in the secondary?

I think I left it in for about 2 weeks. Didn't need much time since its a relatively small beer. I used a pound of pecans in the mash but I would recommend more since I didn't get a lot of flavor from them

Pecan Chai Porter (P.C.P.):

Batch Size 3 gal

OG: 1.045
FG: 1.011
IBU's: 36

Grain bill: AG
5lbs 2-row
4oz Chocolate Wheat
4oz Black Patent Malt
3oz Caramel 60

Grain Bill: PM
2lb 10oz Pale Liquid Extract
1lb 3 oz 2-Row
4 oz Chocolate Wheat
4 oz Black Patent Malt
2 oz Caramel 60

Mash all grains and Pecans (roasted and crushed. directions for roasting at bottom) at 153* for 60'.

Boil additions:
.5 oz Challenger (7.5% AA) @ 60'
.5 oz EK Golding (5% AA) @ 15'
.5 oz EK Golding (5% AA) @ 5'
2 oz Chai @ 5'

Ferment at 68* with Nottingham until FG is reached. Secondary is optional if more chai flavor is desired it may be dry "chai'd"

ROASTING
Place pecans on cookie sheet at 275 for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. These burn very easy so keep an eye on them. Crush pecans before adding to mash. This can be done with grain mill, rolling pin, or any wacky kitchen gadget you have.

You didn't mention how many pecans you used?

Yeah that sounds really tasty. I was originally thinking maybe a nut brown with pecans and bottle conditioned with maple syrup but this caught my eye too.

in the process of dong this brew as we speak. using .75 lbs of very dark roasted pecans in the mash. i'm putting the pecans in with the mash and another .75 lbs of roasted pecans with the previously mashed pecans in again at 8 mins.
trying for max pecan flavor

also changed the hop bill to....
.75oz UK challenger at 60 mins

.25oz, UK challenger at 15 mins
.5oz uk Golding at 15 mins

.5 uk Golding at 5 mins
.5 czech saaz at 5 mins

I cant wait

Back