Brewing in the garage with a propane burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

As of now I can only brew on the weekends and I just blew my last keg (sadpanda) :eek: . It's been raining for the past week, and is supposed to rain until at least Tuesday. I'd really like to brew on Sunday and ideally I'd put the pot & burner in my driveway, but if it's raining that's a obvious no go.

Could I get brew inside the garage with the door open and pot & kettle right at the door opening just under the roof overhang?

I brew in the garage all the time with the door wide open.

I watch very carefully, I do not want to burn my house down.

I also pay attention for symptoms carbon monoxide poisoning. I do not want to die.

I need a new alarm. On my last brew I found out my old one was not working properly.

I also do this, if you have a fan that you can put on blowing from the garage door (to the house) out of the garage that helps. I also keep CO/fire alarm by the door.

I just picked up a burner this last weekend and was thing the same thing.

Another question I have is to leave the pot covered or uncovered??? While in my house I leave it uncovered as instructed by my LHBS but worry about bugs and stuff getting into the open pot outside.

:D

I do this in my garage. I open a garage door and a side door so there is a natural flow of air coming through. Its how I usually brew because its a nice, level, concrete floor, and my driveway is gravel and uphill. I've brewed my last 4 batches this way.

I just picked up a burner this last weekend and was thing the same thing.

Another question I have is to leave the pot covered or uncovered??? While in my house I leave it uncovered as instructed by my LHBS but worry about bugs and stuff getting into the open pot outside.

:D

Uncovered! I am pretty sure you do not want to leave it covered during your boil.

Another question I have is to leave the pot covered or uncovered???

Leave the pot uncovered, if it is covered the DMS cannot escape.

Besides if spiders do get in there they will be sanitized so you do not have to worry. :cross:

Bugs should be no problem as long as they get in early enough in the boil so they're sanitized.
But seriously, just get one of those splatter screens for frying bacon and set that over your pot. Keep all the junk out and let you keep an eye on everything. They even have a handle on them so you can lift it off to stir and add hops.

What's wrong with the rain? I've brewed in the rain/snow a bunch of times and it's never caused me a problem

I brew in the garage with a propane burner. I just leave the outside door open and the garage door cracked open about 12". I also went and bought a carbon monoxide alarm just in case. I've never had it go off.

10 years of brewing in the garage, with the door open (no fan, either). I'm still here, so...

I think you'd actually have to "try" to get CO2 poisoning this way - huddling near the flame and not moving...

Make sure there's nothing gross on the ceiling that could drip into your beer. I've brewed a few batches on the patio of my apartment, and the bottom of the patio above mine had some nasty moss growing on the underside. I was worried all the hot moisture from the boil would condense and drip back in so I had to position the kettle just in the right spot.

But seriously, just get one of those splatter screens for frying bacon and set that over your pot. Keep all the junk out and let you keep an eye on everything. They even have a handle on them so you can lift it off to stir and add hops.

you don't even need to do this...

i have boiled 15+ batches in the garage with the door open and never had an issue with bugs trying to get in. Although, I do understand why they would WANT to... the smell itself if rather intoxicating!!!

If you put in a co monitor, mount it low. co is heavier than air and builds up near the floor. Or you could keep an eye on your cat.....

I brew in the garage all the time with propane burner. I just leave the garage door and side door open. Good luck with brew day. I will be brewing Monday in my garage in Santa Rosa. What are you brewing?

Scoobs95407 said:
I brew in the garage all the time with propane burner. I just leave the garage door and side door open. Good luck with brew day. I will be brewing Monday in my garage in Santa Rosa. What are you brewing?

Nice to see there are other local brewers on hbt! I'm brewing up a batch of EdWorts Haus Pale Ale. I normally prefer a hopier pale ale or ipa, but my wide likes lighter beers, so I'm hoping this could be a good compromise.

Nice to see there are other local brewers on hbt! I'm brewing up a batch of EdWorts Haus Pale Ale. I normally prefer a hopier pale ale or ipa, but my wide likes lighter beers, so I'm hoping this could be a good compromise.

If she does not like that then the speckled heifer from NB will get ya some.

Brewed in the kitchen once with my burner. Set all the smoke and Co2 sensors off in my house. so I moved it to the garage.

just crack the garage door to let the Co2 escape.

Bugs should be no problem as long as they get in early enough in the boil so they're sanitized.

Bugs could be surprise flavor for your brew! Experiment!

If you put in a co monitor, mount it low. co is heavier than air and builds up near the floor. Or you could keep an eye on your cat.....

For the sake of safety, that is a complete myth. CO has a molar mass of 28.0, and air has an average molar mass of 28.8. The difference is so slight that CO is found to evenly distribute itself indoors. It is worth mentioning that CO indoors is usually generated from incomplete combustion (heat source) and therefore traveling in a warm air stream. Warm air is more buoyant and does rise. Coupling this fact with the knowledge that CO is lighter than air… I personally have my CO detector located on the ceilings. Still look out for your furry friends

I'd set up the EZ Up and brew in the driveway as always. I don't like the idea of brewing in the garage. I know others do it. That's just me.

For the sake of safety, that is a complete myth. CO has a molar mass of 28.0, and air has an average molar mass of 28.8. The difference is so slight that CO is found to evenly distribute itself indoors. It is worth mentioning that CO indoors is usually generated from incomplete combustion (heat source) and therefore traveling in a warm air stream. Warm air is more buoyant and does rise. Coupling this fact with the knowledge that CO is lighter than air… I personally have my CO detector located on the ceilings. Still look out for your furry friends

necro29844976_lrg.jpg

Though, good fireman advice

necro29844976_lrg.jpg

Though, good fireman advice

LMAO, sorry dudes. I haven't brewed in 2 years. I just finished my brewing system and today is its maiden voyage and I've been prepping everything all week. Typically where i live in California its 100° at this time of the year. As my luck would have its going to be 73° today with winds of 20 to 25 mph. :mad:

With that being said i was laying in bed searching for something, a one liner perhaps that would make me feel better about what I'm going to do.

As forecasted, the winds are moving today. Its nice and cool. If I'm going to brew, which i will, I'm confined to my garage. I know and understand the dangers, I probably should just wait, but the longing to brew is over powering.

So again I say sorry for in my quest for comfort something didn't for right, being a safety Sam I couldn't move on without saying something, I hope everyone reading this has a great day!

Stay safe, cheers

Latest posts

Back