Q&A on 2.5 Picnic Keg Set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you who started kegging did so small-scale? Like buying a single 2.5gal keg for a picnic set-up.

If so, how did you like it?

I have a fridge full of bottles but no plans for a permanant kegerator set-up. I have an unfinished basement and that's where my beer fridge is located, its not the kind of place for hanging out and bringing in company. Not to mention, I'd loose a lot of storage space just to hold one keg in the fridge.

How many of you just used it as an occasional party keg? I'm assuming you can store beer warm for awhile in the keg.

When you go to serve it how easy is it to chill with ice in a kegger tub or igloo cooler? How long does it take?

Just curoius if i should take the 1st step to draft.... ... or wait until the basement is finished.

Thanks! :mug:

You'd be better off grabbing a few 5 gallon cornies because they're about a third of the price of 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs. You don't have to fill them all the way, just make sure you purge the headspace of air. You can bottle half a batch and keg the rest. Yes, you can leave it relatively warm. You'll still need a CO2 bottle and reg. You can probably chill a keg down to 40 leaving it in a bin of icewater for a few hours.

I assume you can't store these on their side or can you? I know they have to be upright for dispensing because of the draw tubes.

The 2.5/3 gal cornies are expencive, but you're paying for the convenience of having a small keg. Personally, I live in an apartment, and space for a kegerator and three 5 gal cornies is nil (I asked, but swmbo vetoed the idea). So instead, I intend to force carbonate my little guy at my friends house on his co2, bring it back over here, attach one of those little cartidge chargers, and stick it in the big fridge, taking out only one of the shelves and pissing off my fiance only to the point of yelling, but not to the point of packing bags and leaving. Add to that the convenience of being able to actually shut the lid on an igloo cooler with entire keg inside, completely covered in ice, and you have a nice little party favor. I can't wait to get an actual pull tap and walk into a house party carting my little draft box on wheels and dispencing out the side of it. Pimp. ;)

mike

MLynchLtd said:
The 2.5/3 gal cornies are expencive, but you're paying for the convenience of having a small keg. Personally, I live in an apartment, and space for a kegerator and three 5 gal cornies is nil (I asked, but swmbo vetoed the idea). So instead, I intend to force carbonate my little guy at my friends house on his co2, bring it back over here, attach one of those little cartidge chargers, and stick it in the big fridge, taking out only one of the shelves and pissing off my fiance only to the point of yelling, but not to the point of packing bags and leaving. Add to that the convenience of being able to actually shut the lid on an igloo cooler with entire keg inside, completely covered in ice, and you have a nice little party favor. I can't wait to get an actual pull tap and walk into a house party carting my little draft box on wheels and dispencing out the side of it. Pimp. ;)

mike

I was considering 2.5gal kegs because I brew 2.5 & 5 gal batches 80% of the time its 2.5 gal batches. I'm the only one that really drinks here in the house and its not much at any give time. If all I brewed was 5's I'd get tired of what I have on hand. (I'd have October Pumpkin Beer in March) Brew 2.5's I can have 12 different types on hand. Its nice standing in front of the fridge deliberating as to what I want to drink.

I do like the idea of having a session beer in a keg or a good apfelwein around during the holidays. Hmm... Nitro Charged Apfelwein!!!

The other thing I've noticed is that the kegged beer has better head retention too. A Belgian Lace thing going on. Outside the fact dirty glass can be factor, I guessing hop-rate and yeast plays a part too. :mug:

BierMuncher said:
They need to invent a cooler on wheels that's about 28-29 inches tall, 20" across and 12" from front to back.

Now that's a cooler I'll buy.

Get yourself two trash cans (one on wheels), one that can fit inside the other. Put a layer of packing peanuts and "Great Stuff" liquid foam in the bottom and insert the 2nd trash can. The relayer the sides with peanuts and more foam, repeat to the top. After that dries mount a bulkhead fitting.

There you go!!

BierMuncher said:
They need to invent a cooler on wheels that's about 28-29 inches tall, 20" accross and 12" from front to back.

Heck you could take an Igloo Cube or 10 gal Gott and convert it into a draft box with 18 ft of 5/16ID copper tubing. Tote the corny on a luggage cart or both on a 2 wheel dolly.

BierMuncher said:
They need to invent a cooler on wheels that's about 28-29 inches tall, 20" accross and 12" from front to back.

I'm thinking about building something like that that would accommodate two 5 gallon cornies. Wheels, drain, two taps. A portable party. My cooler for 3 gallons is cool for picnics, but for Home brew gatherings, this would be the way to go. I wonder how the extruded insulation handles getting wet from melting ice?

Ed

I'm thinking maybe its time for a DIY Draft Box for multiple kegs buying one or two cold plates so you could have 2 or 4 taps. Then make something that can attach to a dolley or hand truck for moving the kegs.

The kegs and draft box could all be attached to the dolly possibly... :rockin:

Back