Screw top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a reason why screw top bottles can not be used?
I have been offered some by some one who said he bought then from the LHBS in the 90's he did have spare seals for the caps but I'm not sure you can get them any more.

they glass or plastic? glass twist off don't cap properly AFAIK.
I have some brown plastic ones which I use from time to time - they're a litre.
no reason why you can't use them, if they're not clear.
K

Hmm... I've wondered this too.

The wisdom here seems to be that the glass twistoffs won't seal properly... though my LHBS does sell metal caps that are supposed to be specially for screw tops...?

I keg or use plastic or grolsh

Keegan

The special caps do work. I don't bottle much myself, but I've more than a few samples from capped screwtops.

As long as you have a mechanical capper (rather than a 'whack with a mallet' capper), the screw-tops seal fine.

By mechanical capper I mean one with a little magnet to hold the cap, and a big lever you pull on to seal it.

Wouldn't a twist-off work fine if you stuck a cork in it, wine bottle style, then screwed the top on? I figure that'd have to seal pretty well, sort of like the champaigne cork with the little wire basket?

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear in what I was asking. I'm not talking about the bud type bottles that only have a thin cap but ones with a top the same as soda bottle almost an inch deep. Same style as the pet homebrew bottles but in glass.

I don't think it matters, do you mean you want glass bottles with the plastic twist off caps? I don't know if you can get them but if you can I suppose the price would be a little more expensive as they're more rare, so you may as well just use normal caps

The bottles are free, 200 of them and they are 20oz very thick and brown. They have soda style pklastic caps with a rubber seal in them The bottles would not take a normal cap.

I have just read not to use screw tops.

I'm not sure where I read it, but I thought the screw off bottles were more of a problem because the glass is typically thinner, and glass shrapnel bombs are more frequent. Like i said, don't know where I read it, and it might just have been my imagination.

Back