full boil/more hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
i have been reading a few threads about doing full boils and i do know it's more efficiant but i keep seeing people saying you have to add more hops?could someone explain to me why this is?it seems to me that if your going to end up with the same amount of water that shouldn't really effect the amount of hops you need.also i have done a few kits latley with a full boil and not added extra hops.is this really going to effect the taste that muchand if so should i throw some more hops into the fermenter?

if you use beersmith or other brewing software you can see the difference in IBU (international bittering units) between partial and full boils. Cheers!

+1 to other way around. FOr a full boil, you actually want to use less hops than you would in a partial boil. You get much better hop utilization so you don't need as many hops as you do in partial.

I use beersmith to adjust my hops down to the original IBU's. There are some free online calculators as well. If you need a rundown, let us know, we would be happy to help.

Good Luck! :mug:

apparently i had my head up my a** when i read the other threads!!!!thanks for steering me in the right direction.could you post some links as to where i can find these calculators?

thanks!!!!

I am cheap and I like http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe because it is free and I can print off my recipes and the addition times (little tab on the right top corner of the page) along with the dates for switching to secondary and dry hopping etc. Holy run on sentance...

Back