steel barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contagent93

Reaction score
I am looking at putting together brew system run entirely off steam just like the pros the obvious choice is steel barrels there are steel and stainless is stainless a necessity or would a regular steel barrel be ok since im not applying a direct heat source all heating will be infused steam im looking to do 20 gallon batches and would like to setup a automated steam brewery like many micro brewery's use so the question is regular steel drums ok are food grade stainless needed ?

I'm thinking oxidation and rust would occur- Not sure of the set up but bound to happen. SS would be my 2 cents.

I was going to do before I moved from Seattle to Denver and had to get rid of my barrels. A couple of things:

1. Make sure that the barrels are food grade. Like the kind honey comes in to processors. For the insides are cover in a plastic coating to keep the food stuff safe. They are plentiful and cheap. $15 a piece.

2. Stainless would be the better choice for the rust reason. The only down side of SS is the cost. IF you can find one that is inexpensive please let me know because I would love to brew 40 gallons at a time!

contagent93 says "im looking to do 20 gallon batches"
Are you looking to get 55 gallon drums or something smaller? Because if you are looking to just do 20 gallon batches you could get someone to cut two kegs and weld them together as one 30 gallon kettle. For probably less then a 55 gallon SS drum

Hope this helps,

John

im planning on getting 55 gallon drums doing 20 gallon but eventually moving to 40 gallon so honey barrels hmm and the plastic coating will hold up to boil temps ?

The honey guy I got them from heats them up to extract the honey. I think that going electric is probably the best bet because the lining wont come in direct contact with the heat source, I have seen other places say that it cooks out with direct heat.

its going to be heated with steam im still a lil iffy about reaching boil temps in something plastic lined i did see some food grade barrels for around 60 bucs through companys that are ceramic coated inside

3 years later.....did you ever use any of the ceramic coated 55 gallon drums? I have a couple zillion of them. I don't think I'd want to use them in the brewing process, but I feel like they'd make pretty good fermenters as they are already food safe and relatively easy to clean.

I searched quite a bit and found all kinds of stuff on SS drums and plastic drums but nothing really on using these "honey drums" so I hope somebody out there has some experience with them!

One more try, then I'll quit. The drums look just like these, only they have a different, lever-style locking mechanism for the lid and are different colors.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/m...rums-pails/closed-open-head-steel-drums-pails

3395.jpg

Anybody have any experience?

Back