When do I pitch my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hi, all. I've done a search for this question, but can't find the answer. And given the number of starter questions every weekend, I think a starter sticky might be in order (I've seen some disputes over items in the wiki (disputed issues on this site? No way!).

I've made a gallon starter of Wyeast Abbey Ale yeast for the Chimay Red clone I'm planning for tomorrow. I pitched into the starter last night, and today, it is bubbles and foam a-go-go.

Now what?

I'd like to brew tomorrow, but I don't think I should pitch this entire gallon into the fermenter. I also don't think it will stop fermenting by tomorrow. Should I put it in the fridge tonight so the yeast will settle down, decant and pour? Or should I wait for a few more days (I'd rather not, but will if I have to).

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

Thanks,

CB

Go ahead and pitch the whole thing when your brew is ready. It's a good thing to pitch when the starter is still actively fermenting. The yeast is in reproductive mode and will continue to reproduce when it hits the wort. Don't put it in the fridge, just let it do its thing.

The whole thing? Really? Jeebus. I don't have to worry about its effect on the flavor of the wort I made (I did use extra light DME for the starter)? I don't have to worry about diluting the wort either?

Good thing I have a 7 gallon bucket, 'cause if I pitch in that whole gallon, it's going to asplode.

Oh, I see. I was thinking of a ten gallon batch. That might be a bit too much liquid for a five gallon batch.

Here's a calculator for you:

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Normally you would step up a starter to a full gallon. That takes a few days. In your case you are probably better off waiting as long as possible before pitching. You can decant the top of the starter and pitch the yeast that has already flocculated to the bottom.

Oh, I see. I was thinking of a ten gallon batch. That might be a bit too much liquid for a five gallon batch.

Here's a calculator for you:

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Normally you would step up a starter to a full gallon. That takes a few days. In your case you are probably better off waiting as long as possible before pitching. You can decant the top of the starter and pitch the yeast that has already flocculated to the bottom.

At my OG, Mr. Malty calls for a gallon starter, which is why I made one of that size. Still feels like too much liquid to me.

A gallon of starter to provide enough sugars for the yeast, but it doesn't mean you have to pitch the whole volume.
I would toss it in the fridge overnight the night before you brew, decant in before you brew, and let the vessel sit on the counter and slowly come to room temp while you are brewing. Then pitch when wort is cooled to roughly ferment temp.

Thanks. Mr. Malty also calls for a gallon starter at a 5.25 batch volume, which confused me.

At my OG, Mr. Malty calls for a gallon starter, which is why I made one of that size. Still feels like too much liquid to me.

Well, it is. The gallon refers to the amount of wort that is fermented to get the yeast. It assumes you decant the spent wort off the top. In my experience you can get away with less than what Mr. Malty says. In fact I rarely pitch that much.

This will be a sort of judgement call for you. Even as it finishes the yeast will be flocculating to the bottom of your starter jar but there will be a fair bit in suspension. You could cool it to clear it up and take a chance that you will have enough or you could just be happy with what's already sitting on the bottom. Without seeing your jar it's hard to say if you have enough. By tomorrow it should be done but it may not be all settled out.

If it were me, I'd let it go and see what it looks like tomorrow. You might get away with pitching only the bottom half.

Yeah, I can't post pictures yet. It is really cloudy and swirly, bajillions of particles in there. There's a good little bed on the bottom, but with so much action going on now, my main question is whether or not to throw it in the fridge when I get home from this pub. Enjoying a Wexford's Irish Ale at the moment, lovely and creamy.

You probably won't be pitching until sometime tomorrow afternoon. That's a lot of yeast production between now and then. I'd let it go and finish fermenting. If you refrigerate it now you stop production. If there's enough in there to make you happy, go for it but I'd expect the amount of yeast you lose by stopping production will be more than compensated for by letting it ferment.

Do you have the starter with you in the pub? That's kind of weird in a really dedicated kind of way.

Ha ha, no I don't have it with me, but I'm thinking about it. Thanks, that's good advice.

thanks so much. Man, where would I be without HBT? Time to buy a membership. I've just got home and the krausen in the gallon jug has fallen. Looks like I'm in good shape to leave it alone until tomorrow.

I wouldn't pitch 1 gallon of extract beer...I make starters 2-3 days ahead and decant most of the beer off.

Post back tomorrow at pitching time and let us know how it went!

It went very well. By the time I pitched (around 6PM) major fermentation had slowed down, and I had a nice thick bed of yeast at the bottom of the gallon jug. I decanted as much as I felt comfortable with--as I got below the half-way point, yeast started swirling up into the liquid, so I stopped there, swirled it up, and pitched. Probably pitched a bit less than 2 liters of starter into the fermeter, which for 5.5 gallons of wort is just fine, I think. Less than three hours later there were bubbles in the airlock, and this morning it was bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip......

Thanks for the assistance.

CB

Less than three hours later there were bubbles in the airlock, and this morning it was bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip......

Thanks for the assistance.

CB

Isn't that a great sound? Mine is going blur-up, blur-up, blur-up.

I'm going to make a starter today for my brewing later this week. Isn't it fun?

Isn't that a great sound? Mine is going blur-up, blur-up, blur-up.

I'm going to make a starter today for my brewing later this week. Isn't it fun?

Yah, although the first few times I felt a moment of panic--"I'm pitching my yeast into something that is not my beer"--and then the sane when I was pitching my starter. Now that I've seen the results, I won't sweat it for next time, although putting a bunch of starter liquid into the wort, no matter how minimized, does get me thinking about diluted batches, all that. I know not to worry. Just listen to the bip-bip.

Back