BJCP Tasting Exam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a quick trip to Detroit this weekend to take the Beer Judge Certification Program's Tasting Exam. This is the second time I've taken the exam - I took the exam for the first time in July 2012 and received a score of 76 which, together with experience points, qualifies me for the rank of Certified Judge. I've been judging in competitions since January 2013 and thought that, with that practice, I might be able to add a few points to my score. We'll see.

Fred Bonjour organized the exam - thanks, Fred! The proctors (highly ranked judges who also took the exam) stayed afterwards to visit with us and go through their evaluations of the beers. For five of the six beers, I was within 2 points (on a 50 point scale) of them for the overall score, which I thought was very good. On the sixth beer, the proctors had a significant divergence on their scores and I was within one point of one them but 8 points away from the other.

Here's a rundown of the six beers we tasted and evaluated:

Scottish 70 Shilling - I gave this a 21, and it was a challenging beer to score. It had the clear beginnings of a sourness, early signs of an infection that was developing but had not completely taken over the beer yet. The infection had also thinned the beer's mouthfeel and diminished the malty character of the beer.

Octoberfest - I gave this a 35, it was a pleasant beer with no major flaws but lacked some of the complexity that marks the best examples of this style. It turns out that Fred had served us a commercial beer - Sam Adams Octoberfest.

Northern English Brown - Afterwards, Fred told us this was a blend of various Northern Browns from a competition. The result was a mediocre version of the style. I gave it a 27 (the proctors liked it a little better and gave it a 29). I also thought it had a touch of astringency, perhaps from sparging techniques or overuse of roasted grain.

Belgian Golden Strong - a thoroughly unenjoyable homebrewed example that missed the style in almost everyway possible except for the high alcohol. I gave it a 20. It was murky, flat, heavy/thick in the mouthfeel and cloyingly sweet. The hallmark of the style is its dryness and drinkability. In my comments, I was positive with the brewer, telling them (truthfully) that this style is remarkable challenging to make - combining a high gravity, high alcohol, dryness and drinkability. That's one challenge sometimes for judges - being respectful and helpful to the brewer when something has gone terribly wrong.

American IPA - A delightful beer that I scored a 40. Fred combined/blended competition beers for this, and it worked in part because the hop complexity was enjoyable. This beer had mango, citrus and tropical fruit aromas and flavors, backed by just enough malt.

English Barleywine - Another homebrewed, enjoyable beer that I gave a 40. Thick, malty, caramelly with a complex mix of dark and pit fruit flavors, derived from the yeast and dark malts. Afterwards, in talking with another exam taker who did not like the beer and gave it a much lower score, it was apparent that he was only familiar with the American style of Barleywine, which is different than the English version. The proctors agreed with me, thankfully.

The exam was not full, with nine of us out of a maximum of 12. Five of the examinees were from a class that Fred organized and were taking the test for the first time. The other four of us were repeat exam takers, looking to either pass or increase our score.

The exam organizer will send in our group's evaluation sheets with the proctors' sheets and another group of highly-ranked judges will grade them. The last time, I received pages and pages of very helpful comments - it was obvious the graders had spent a lot of time with the exam. Last time, it took six months to receive my score back.

About my score, I am hopeful that I did better this time, but would not say that I am optimistic and would not be surprised if I did not. There is an element of randomness in the entire process of judging beer and in the examination of that process. I'm comfortable with that. In any case, I benefited from the evaluation of my first exam, and am certain that I will be a better judge because of this experience. I know I already benefited from our post-exam conversations with the proctors.

I posted this on my blog. I'm also in conversation with the BJCP about organizing a tasting exam in Chicago, for our homebrew club (BOSS) and others, in early 2015.

Excellent breakdown of the exam. Thanks for posting. I'm taking mine for the first time in mid October so this helps me get a better sense on what to expect.

Nice write up of the exam. I'll be taking my second exam in November and after the two competitions I am judging at in October I'll have enough points to be Certified should I get higher than a 70. I got a 69 last time and got a ton of great feedback from the BJCP on my first exam. My biggest problem on the first exam was finding problems that weren't there just because I was expecting there to be off flavors. I need to work on approaching a new beer without preconceived notions.

Sounds like you really nailed the exam, with being so close to the proctor's scores and with knowing the styles so well.

I'm just not ready to travel right now to test again to get to the National level, but maybe if you actually do this in 2015, I can sign up and visit you! :D

I'm not at all confident that I increased my score, as I said. I'm hopeful, but that's all. If I got a lower score, it wouldn't surprise me. That's the downside of sharing this with all of you - when I get my 58 back, you'll all know ;)

I'm not at all confident that I increased my score, as I said. I'm hopeful, but that's all. If I got a lower score, it wouldn't surprise me. That's the downside of sharing this with all of you - when I get my 58 back, you'll all know ;)

It'll be good, I promise! You did very well on the initial tasting exam, and it sounds like you nailed it this time.

One thing interesting- when I took my tasting exam, it was all bad beers except for one that was "good". It was not fun- an aged RIS entered for a schwartzbier, for example. The highest score by the proctors was 34 for an oktoberfest- the rest were all 13-29ish.

You've had several excellent beers when testing I recall your first experience correctly along with this one.

Good luck on the exam paps and i was wondering if you would be open to critiquing some homebrew

Yooper as a bears and red green fan i truly love the new avatar.

. . . i was wondering if you would be open to critiquing some homebrew.

Sure, but it might make more sense to enter them in an upcoming competition, then the feedback you get will be from multiple judges and they won't have any idea whose beer it is, so its unbiased.

Here are two upcoming competitions in Chicago:

http://brixies.bobbo.net/brixtoberfest/
http://spooky.chibeer.org/

But if you want to drop off or send me some beer, I'd do that, too. The competitions are made for that though - to give brewers feedback on their beers.

Sure, but it might make more sense to enter them in an upcoming competition, then the feedback you get will be from multiple judges and they won't have any idea whose beer it is, so its unbiased.

Here are two upcoming competitions in Chicago:

http://brixies.bobbo.net/brixtoberfest/
http://spooky.chibeer.org/

But if you want to drop off or send me some beer, I'd do that, too. The competitions are made for that though - to give brewers feedback on their beers.

Not wanting to highjack this thread too much, but if this is something you guys are in to, here's a site that I built for our club for exactly this kind of thing - http://onlinebeerscores.com/

The idea is you enter the beer on the site, print out a label and tape it to the bottle. Bring the bottles to a club meeting and have judges take them home. You won't know who's beer it is, or who took it home. Then the judge goes back to the site, enters the number and gets to fill out an online version of the BJCP scoresheet that gets logged and emailed to the user.

Please feel free to check it out and use it if it's something you're interested in. :mug:

It sounds like you nailed it. If you were that close in scores with the proctors, as long as your score sheets were fully filled out using descriptive language and offering good feedback, you should be a shoe in for 80+. Then, its off to take the written exam. I wish you a short exam grade turn around. I've heard of about 90 days right now at the fastest, but also up to 140+, just depending on the luck of the draw with your graders and their schedules. Cheers.

I took the exam in early July and still no news. In today's world of instant everything, the waiting is hard. They said 90 days which is coming up fast.

I took the exam in early July and still no news. In today's world of instant everything, the waiting is hard. They said 90 days which is coming up fast.

The first time I took the exam, I took it in July and got the materials back the final week of December. I was anxious to hear back, too. But, the feedback was so detailed and well-thought-out, that it was worth the wait. Hope the same is true for you.

The wait for your scores varies. It could be as fast as 90 days but also as slow as 150. Depends on your graders and if their life gets in the way. I took the exam in March and it took about 120 days for my grades to come back.

I was hopeful after the recent communication that they had been able to cut the turnaround time to 45 -90 days.

I took the exam that was given at NHC (late June) in Philly. I never got copies of the proctors score sheets and have not heard from them at all. It this pretty normal? I know some people get the proctors score sheets in a few days.

I took the exam that was given at NHC (late June) in Philly. I never got copies of the proctors score sheets and have not heard from them at all. It this pretty normal? I know some people get the proctors score sheets in a few days.

I have not gotten the proctor's score sheets either time. But the proctors did stay after the test to talk with us about each beer, very helpful.

Getting the proctor sheets seems a bit odd to me, since those were written by someone other than the exam-taker.

Most exam organizers are good about scanning and returning scoresheets to the original writer for comparison when the results come back.

Congrats on passing! That's a helluva score.

I took my exam July 17 and got emailed results October 6 and the actual package a few days later. They're getting very quick. I didn't get to see the proctor scoresheets, but the feedback you do receive on each beer is amazing. They essentially break down all the good and bad things you did with each beer. I've scanned my results, for those that may be curious.

http://www.thepourreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BJCP_Score_1.pdf

I took my exam July 17 and got emailed results October 6 and the actual package a few days later. They're getting very quick. I didn't get to see the proctor scoresheets, but the feedback you do receive on each beer is amazing. They essentially break down all the good and bad things you did with each beer. I've scanned my results, for those that may be curious.

Congratulations, what a great score! Are you going to take the written exam now?

Sharing the score breakdown was really helpful and gives me a better understanding on how the process works. I just took the tasting exam and know I bombed at least 1 beer, scored another 8 points higher than the proctors and got the other 4 hopefully pretty spot on. Getting a 70 isn't out of reach like I thought it was. Thanks for sharing that.

Congrats on the 80.

I'm always surprised at how many people take the tasting exam and don't really know how the exam is graded. The grading instructions are even posted on the BJCP website: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Scoring_Guide.pdf

60% of the exam is under your control and has little to do with comparing you to the proctors (descriptive ability, feedback, completeness).

40% is a bit more subjective based on comparing you to the proctors (scoring accuracy and perceptive ability), but the lowest possible for scoring accuracy on each beer is 9% out of 20%. Basically, if you knock the 60% of the exam that is under your control out of the park, you are almost guaranteed to at least pass. With a little luck on the scoring accuracy, you can get a very high score.

Reading through that document before I took the exam really helped me understand what the graders are looking for. :mug:

I received the email with my results yesterday. I scored a 78 and am extremely pleased. I am anxious to see the grader's sheets. In my exam, we no "Bad" beers. All were homebrews from the test organizer. None were overtly bad beers and none, as I recall, had pronounced off flavors. That really made things interesting.

I agree with hoperific 100%. If you are going to take the test understand how it is graded. Then you'll be less worried about trying to nail down a specific flavor and can concentrate on being complete and descriptive on what you think you pick up.

I would also add that you should not wait to take the BJCP exam unitl you judge a comp. Spending time with a knowledgeable judge in a comp is invaluable experience.

GoodDogShelby said:
I received the email with my results yesterday. I scored a 78 and am extremely pleased. I am anxious to see the grader's sheets. In my exam, we no "Bad" beers. All were homebrews from the test organizer. None were overtly bad beers and none, as I recall, had pronounced off flavors. That really made things interesting. I agree with hoperific 100%. If you are going to take the test understand how it is graded. Then you'll be less worried about trying to nail down a specific flavor and can concentrate on being complete and descriptive on what you think you pick up. I would also add that you should not wait to take the BJCP exam unitl you judge a comp. Spending time with a knowledgeable judge in a comp is invaluable experience.

When and where did you take your test? You weren't one of the guys at Columbus on Oct 12, were you? That sounds a lot like our exam.

Congrats on the 78!

The tasting exam is supposed to have two beers with pronounced off flavors based on the BJCP guidelines, but it is ultimately up to the exam administrator. If they BJCP doesn't like what they did, they might get that feedback to pick their beers more carefully next time.

Then, sometimes, they try to spike beers and fail. My exam had a pale ale that they let sit out open for a day to try to oxidize it and it was barely noticeable. It's just like real-world judging; anything can happen on an exam!

Congrats on the 78!

The tasting exam is supposed to have two beers with pronounced off flavors based on the BJCP guidelines, but it is ultimately up to the exam administrator. If they BJCP doesn't like what they did, they might get that feedback to pick their beers more carefully next time.

Then, sometimes, they try to spike beers and fail. My exam had a pale ale that they let sit out open for a day to try to oxidize it and it was barely noticeable. It's just like real-world judging; anything can happen on an exam!

Exactly! Two are supposed to have pronounced off-flavors but they also discourage spiking, which would make it challenging, I think.

On my first exam, afterwards the organizer identified one of the beers (a Bohemian Pilsner) as commercial Pilsner Urquell that had been left in the sun to skunk. He succeeded!

The other obviously flawed beer was a badly infected Irish Red Ale. The most horrific beer I've ever had.

The second exam, neither of the flawed beers were as obvious as those two, which was interesting. Same exam organizer, who I think does a great job, btw.

From a grader and proctor: Don't count on the "two flawed, two commercial, two middling" or similar rules. The exams I've participated in don't reflect this anymore; you're just as likely to see outdated commercial examples, excellent homebrews, or blends of random beers for each of the exam beers. Just be ready to judge the sample and score it per style, recipe, and technical factors.

Update: Got an email today saying that I should expect to receive my exam materials in the next week and that I increased my score to over the 80 I needed in order to qualify to take the written exam. Am really pleased, as I said in the OP, I wasn't optimistic, so this is unexpected good news!

Congrats, Pappers_!

I hope to be getting word of my results soon. I took the exam for the second time back at the beginning of November. I barely missed the score to be Certified last time, so we'll see where this one lands me.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

Update: Got an email today saying that I should expect to receive my exam materials in the next week and that I increased my score to over the 80 I needed in order to qualify to take the written exam. Am really pleased, as I said in the OP, I wasn't optimistic, so this is unexpected good news!

Good for you!

I was thinking of trying to retake to get my National, but I decided that it's too much trouble to travel for exams and things. Maybe if I could do it closer to home I would, as you are inspiring me to want it for myself!

Yooper said:
Good for you! I was thinking of trying to retake to get my National, but I decided that it's too much trouble to travel for exams and things. Maybe if I could do it closer to home I would, as you are inspiring me to want it for myself!

One idea would be to sign up for the exam at the NHC, perhaps.

Well done!

My first score was a 70 which was good enough to get me to Certified with enough judging. I'm thinking about taking the exam again, but I think I'll hold off until I get enough judging points for National. Getting the competition experience especially with all the different styles and putting out score sheets should help me get a high enough qualifying score (hopefully).

Didn't see much point to starting a new thread seeing as this one already existed, so here's my update. I got an e-mail a couple days ago saying that I increased my score to a 70 (previously 69) which allowed me to slide right under the descending door like Indiana Jones into the Certified rank as soon as I judge one more comp. I'm happy for now, but I will do much more concentrated studying before my next exam. I really need to find a BJCP prep course, but there aren't any within a reasonable distance for me to drive every week for 12 weeks.

Is it everyones experience they receive an email letting them know their results are being shipped out in the mail? I took the test on September 29th and am still waiting :(. I realize the holidays may have slowed things down, but today marks 16 weeks. I thought they were getting faster ant turning the tests around!

nukebrewer - there are a few online courses where you get a syllabus of what beers to buy and then have webcast meetings once a week. One is advertised on the brewing network, though I forget what its called though. maybe someone else can remember for me

Is it everyones experience they receive an email letting them know their results are being shipped out in the mail? I took the test on September 29th and am still waiting :(. I realize the holidays may have slowed things down, but today marks 16 weeks. I thought they were getting faster ant turning the tests around!

nukebrewer - there are a few online courses where you get a syllabus of what beers to buy and then have webcast meetings once a week. One is advertised on the brewing network, though I forget what its called though. maybe someone else can remember for me

I took the exam in September and heard back a couple of weeks ago. The feedback the graders give is very thorough and helpful, your wait will be worth it, I think.

Back