final gravity a touch high...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_loco

Reaction score
American Amber ale, brewed on August 19th, so two and a half weeks ago. Used BRY-97 dry yeast. Just made an IPA with the same strain with excellent results. The Amber was mashed at 158, OG of 1.060 and est. final gravity of 1.017. It was a slow fermentation, I believe from not aerating sufficiently. Temp was held at around 62 for the first week and then brought up to 68. A week ago gravity was 1.022. Today checked and same reading. I'm thinking it's just a recipe/mash temp. thing and since I haven't made this recipe before I'm not super worried but I plan to bottle in a week. As long as gravity doesn't keep dropping am I cool to bottle or should I give it an extra week?

Thanks

You could try bringing it up to 73 degrees for a few days before you bottle. If I'm not mistaken the temp range is from 63-73 degrees.

If it has been sitting at 1.022 for a week, at 68', I'd call it done. Bottle.

If it has been sitting at 1.022 for a week, at 68', I'd call it done. Bottle.

That's what I'm thinking. It hasn't budged in a week and I don't think another day or two is gonna change anything. I threw 2 oz of Centennial in last night. I'll let it sit for a week for the dry hop and then bottle. Shouldn't have any worries by then.

Cheers guys.:mug:

Back