Nottingham Yeast / Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niv

Reaction score

OMG! I am in love with Nottingham. Prelude, I told Aaron, from Brewstock (in New Orleans) that I was going to use Nottingham for my first Barleywine ever. He thought that was a great idea but warned me I should use a blowoff tube. I should have listened.

So, I started by batch with 14 lbs. of 2 row and 1.5 lbs. Crystal 60. I forgot to put 5.2 stabilizer in (and I DO think it make a world of difference) so my pre-boil OG was 1.04.

I used 6 ounces of Kent Goldings all together. 3 at 60, 2.5 at 30 and .5 at 5.
I also put in 3 pounds of Briess light DME and a pound of table sugar. I ended up with 1.090. Not what I or Brewsmith was hoping for but I'll live with it. I think not get my mash ph right is what hurt me but whatever.

So, I have a super high beer OG and I figured, "screw it I don't need to hydrate this yeast, I mean I can put it in here now at like 85 degrees and it's gonna go off like a rocket" Boy, was that right! Jesus Christ, this **** made a huge mess. As you can see from the video I have a 7 gallon bucket. It **** all over it. I had a large mess to clean up and this video show after I put the blow off tube on. MY god I Love this yeast. I mean seriously, it's like a rocket. I have heard the attenuation is good so with my 1.090 I'll probably get about 1.010 or 1.008, but even 1.015 or so would be good. Either way I think that'll be good because I want longevity in storage.

Anyway, I found a new favorite yeast for beers that I was high alcohol with... btw. I know I'd get more FG if I had higher mash temp. But this mash was a steady 152 to 150.... so not to bad. I think I'll probably end up with like 1.012. That's my guess.

Anyway, I like this yeast... never thought I love a dry yeast so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for all my terrible grammar mistakes. I am just getting around to doing my good cleaning (after soaking) and I hate it so much I need to be drunk to do it. I'm sure you'll all agree. God, if it weren't for the cleaning brewing would be the best thing in the world... even then it's pretty close.

Back