My first take on Cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
So I just got done bottling Edworts Apfelwein and Decided I needed to keep cider in the house all the time. I decided to try my own take on some cider. I used 1 lb of dextrose 1 lb of dark brown sugar, 24 oz of apple juice concentrate, 5 gallons of jewel brand apple cider instead of juice. I also used 2 cinnamon sticks and 2 cloves. Pitched with nottinghams ale yeast. Well see how it turns out. OG was 1.070. Any idea what this will finish at?

And now I have rhino farts going on in my pantry. I think it's almost worse then the apfelwein I made a month ago. Hopefully the smell will fade soon. It's at full on fermentation at this point. Almost looks like its boiling

I just took a reading last night... Its still cloudy but its at 1.020. The Kräusen that had formed for the ale yeast is now almost gone. How long should I let this go before I bottle? I was hoping to get down to 1.000 but I dont know if it will ferment out that low since things seem to be slowing down.

I got a cider with Notty to 13% tasted terrible, but it's still aging. Add some more nutrient and maybe energizer, it will help with the sulfur smell too. It will get there if you are patient.

I might bottle Sunday. I have a beer that needs bottling too so I might let it go another week because time will be a factor

I only have 12 bottles left. This is really good. Might be making it again. I think next time I'm going to use 3 lbs of sugar to boost it up a bit higher.

Back