Question about Hop Growing from Seeds!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kike_gimenez

Reaction score
Hey folks,

First off I know the way to go is a rhyzome. But the soil Im planning to plant on is in Venezuela (where there is 0% productivity of hops). And flying with a rhyzome might be a little difficult.

So I started browsing around and found the seeds, I know that seeds are from the Humulus lupulus plant. There are no specific type of hop seeds. Also Im aware that these seeds can be Males and that gotta be carefull about letting the Males polinize the Females.

I wanted to try and buy some seeds. See if by any luck I get to isolate at least 1 Female plant. So far Ive found this site http://seedrack.com/indiv/humulus_lupulus.html?gclid=CJ2qq-2y6LQCFZGPPAod1SkA9Q that seems pretty decent to buy these seeds.

Was just wondering what your thoughts are on this, and if you can recommend any other site or place to get seeds from.

Thanks in advance lads!

Regards,

Honestly, you run the very high risk of getting a plant that has hops that are no good for brewing. If you are absolutely dedicated to the idea that you must start with seeds, then you will have to wait a couple years until all your females flower, and selectively pick and dry (while keeping track of which is which) to choose the plants that produce favorable hops. A seed from a great plant can grow a crappy hop plant. It's why breeding programs are so involved and costly. And it's also why we use rhizomes, being genetically identical we have an idea of what to expect.

Good Luck and I hope you get to grow delicious hops there!!

Back