Anything health related worsened with all that homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbaillargeon

Reaction score
I was reading the how much do you drink thread..people drinking 5-10 beers a day sometimes.

It got me wondwring..Has anyone got health issues from all this ?

Canadian men are advised to usually drink 21 units of alcohol per week at most. This is less than 2 pints a day.

You also drink a whooping 2870 calories a gallon too.

I am a gout suferer myself. But did any one of you have diabetes, cardiac problems, etc or even plain old beer gut from picking up the hobby?:confused:

It certainly isn't helping the diet- there are days I know if I'm going out with my mates, touring breweries, or hitting my favorite beer bars I'll have a salad and get 75% of the day's calories from beer. That cannot be healthy.

The yeast farts from the homebrew are pretty wicked, too.

couple years ago when my kegs were new to me I found out I have gout..lol.. it never ever hit me before and I was drinking alot when I was in my 20's.. yeah, I personally don't drink more than 2-3 on nights I choose but even now when I over indulge it hits me 80% of the time the next morning.. maybe it's age but I'm not old enough :mug:

I bet most people around here are on the toilet twice as long as they are on this site...who knows, maybe they multitask and are doing both at the same time.

I drink 1 - 2 on weeknights and 4 - 5 on weekends.

Weight gain it the only thing that I have noticed.

I'm as healthy as can be. And so is my husband. He's 57, fit, and on no medication at all while I'm 48, fit, and I can run circles around people half my age. I'm pretty small, though, and could easily gain weight if I didn't work at staying fit.

I think it's about other hobbies/lifestyle also. I don't eat any processed food, watch TV, or lead a sedentary life. The beer doesn't affect me, probably because of the rest of my lifestyle.

Too many people eat junk, don't exercise, are overweight, and have other unhealthy habits. Life is all about moderation.

If I was going to eat pizza, drink pepsi, sit on the couch and watch TV every night I think that would be far worse than a couple of glasses of beer after kayaking or hiking every night.

360 calories per beer? I have made some, but they aren't my everyday drinkers!

I was reading the how much do you drink thread..people drinking 5-10 beers a day sometimes.

It got me wondwring..Has anyone got health issues from all this ?

Canadian men are advised to usually drink 21 units of alcohol per week at most. This is less than 2 pints a day.

You also drink a whooping 2870 calories a gallon too.

I am a gout suferer myself. But did any one of you have diabetes, cardiac problems, etc or even plain old beer gut from picking up the hobby?:confused:

bennie1986 said:
Is there a way to calculate how many calories your homebrews have?

BeerSmith does it for me. Most of mine are in the 150-250 calorie range. I use smaller glasses and usually have the equivalent of 1.5 pints per work night... umm, a few more on the weekends.

1-2 Beers a night seems to be easy enough to keep under control with minimal TV, fishing, crabbing, diggin clams, having a few kids, and working the heavy bag a few times a week.

I seriously feel much worse when i overeat at a work potluck, or when i smoke when hanging out with the guys every couple weekends than i do having a beer or two a night.

I am a diabetic and until January I was overweight. This year I decided to go on a diet and start working out, and lost 60 pounds. I no longer take any medication. I started brewing again this year and have a pint every day. The key is limit you'r simple carb intake. I don’t eat bread or pasta. I have been very successful at keeping my weight off. Everything in moderation.

I am a diabetic and until January I was overweight. This year I decided to go on a diet and start working out, and lost 60 pounds. I no longer take any medication. I started brewing again this year and have a pint every day. The key is limit you'r simple carb intake. I don’t eat bread or pasta. I have been very successful at keeping my weight off. Everything in moderation.

maybe the trick is keep your refined carbs to only those that you've refined yourself through mashing and fermenting!

The only health related issues I have noticed from drinking homebrew have been positive - as a lifelong vegetarian I make sure my diet is very balanced, but I am probably a little low on B vitamins. I definitely noticed the nutritional benefits when I started drinking homebrew. The only downside I've observed is weight gain, as others have mentioned. However since I'd rather be dead than fat I make sure to keep tabs on the waistline and make sure I do NOT go over 245 (I'm 6'6"). I do that by taking it easy on the calories especially during the day at work when it is easy to snack. Keep food away from you unless you are actually planning on eating and then in moderation. Exercise. Then you can have some beers without having to worry about any health repercussions.

got me away from a fifth a day and a 2 liter of coke.....I call 6 beers or less a day.......maybe more on the weekend progress for me.....I feel better than I have in a long time......one thing about brewing is I often find myself looking for more information about the subject rather than pounding the beer in me.....I have been taught delayed gratification.....so to speak Now its about quality vs quantity-anyone can drink a bottle of cheap rum or a 18 pack of natty.....when you make the stuff.......you go slower as not to run out and dont want the natty anymore

smata67 said:
Beer is a miracle food, much like spinach, but even better (as if we didn't know that already). This has been known for centuries. See attached unbiased discussion from the Muntons site, particularly the part about the positive effects of moderate alcohol intake.

http://www.muntons.com/downloads/Beer%20and%20Health1.pdf

Awesome article thanks for posting the link!

Got shocking quickly... lol havne't increased the amount of alcohol I drink, but went about 2 weeks drinking my supply of stout homebrew, next thing I know, I gained 8 pounds o_O Doubt it ALL is from the stout, but really was the only change in my diet. Waking up and seeing 200 on the scale was not what I was expecting lol. Hopefully my Belgian Strong and IPA won't have the same effect!!! :)

Calichusetts said:
I bet most people around here are on the toilet twice as long as they are on this site...who knows, maybe they multitask and are doing both at the same time.

Funny you should say that.

Back