Keezer Condensation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarwash31

Reaction score
I have a 5 cu ft keezer with a simple 2x4 wooden collar and I'm getting quite a bit of condensation. It caused some surface rust on the bottom of my CO2 tank. Do I need to try to insulate the collar or would putting a fan inside help?

Neither will cure it completely, but both will help some and provide for a better pour. They will allow for more even temp distribution throughout the keezer reducing condensation as well as keeping the beer lines cooler higher in the unit.

it is tough to completely eliminate this problem. Sealing up any air leaks is the best way to minimize it. Use silicone caulk wherever there is a potential gap between surfaces. Also, rigid foam insulation will help. The fan is a good idea too. I also have a small dehumidifier inside mine. It helps a little.. Your location is also important. Mine is in my garage, which makes the problem worse.

Yeah, it's in my garage and it's been so hot and humid this summer so hopefully that's a big part of it. I did caulk the joins on my collar and between the collar and the freezer and I think I have a pretty decent seal on the lid.

I kept trying to search for other threads like this and couldn't find them until I actually posted this thread. Then the similar threads thing at the bottom gave me all sorts of threads to look at.

I think I'll try some DampRid or dehumidifier and maybe add a fan as well.

the fan really helps keep the temps even. It will cause your taps to sweat more though. I recently recaulked my keezer collar after finding about 3 inches of water in the bottom of the keezer. It made a big difference.

Good news is that the hot weather is almost over. Then you'll just need to keep it from freezing. :)

Definitely insulate the collar and definitely add a fan, as others mentioned that'll help. The fan in particular will help keep the lines cooler and reduce foamy first pours. I'd recommend an Eva dry dehumidifier over the damp rid, they're nice little units and you can regenerate them overnight. Put it on its side right under the fan for the best results, mine's in a hot humid garage and I have no visible condensation. Also try not to open the lid unless you have to, that's the real killer.

Good news is that the hot weather is almost over. Then you'll just need to keep it from freezing. :)
I may be able to unplug it and leave it open in the winter. I think my garage manages to stay above 40 most of the winter.

Keezers will condensate in humid weather...nature of the beast. One plus for using a defrosting refrigerator for a kegerator...but that comes at a price w/ a higher electrical consumption. I just recently switched my kegs over to a used kenmore bottom freezer fridge...the jury is still out as to which I prefer???

I found an old pack of baby diapers in a closet, I would keep one in the low corner of the keezer and it would absorb the small puddle of condensate, replace every couple weeks depending.

Has anyone had issues with their regulators because of condensation? I'm only asking because I have blown up a few regulators in the past year or two and I can't figure out if it is because of excessive moisture or cheep regulators.

The regulator/tank shouldn't be any colder than anything else in the keezer unless you're flowing a high volume of gas, so there shouldn't be condensation there specifically. IME if I have the lid open for a while water will condense on the walls, then run down to pool on the ground. This makes sense because the walls are the coldest thing in there while it's running. Just to make sure, your tank isn't on its side or anything, is it?

The regulator/tank shouldn't be any colder than anything else in the keezer unless you're flowing a high volume of gas, so there shouldn't be condensation there specifically. IME if I have the lid open for a while water will condense on the walls, then run down to pool on the ground. This makes sense because the walls are the coldest thing in there while it's running. Just to make sure, your tank isn't on its side or anything, is it?

No, my tank is on the outside, it is connected to a HP hose that goes through my collar with a brass nipple and into bank of 3 primary regulators. Someone had commented that I was somehow getting liquid CO2 in the regulator which is why it was cracking the housing, they suggested I use a longer hose, which I did and have not had an issue until about a week ago.

So, the only temperature difference would be the brass nipple coming in from the outside and connecting to the regulator.

I had a 5cf chest freezer with a 6" collar, 3" of rigid insulation, a fan, and a container of desiccant. It was in my garage, which gets pretty warm in the summer. I had no issues during the winter, but during the summer I just couldn't keep the moisture out of it.

When I saw mold starting I gave up and switched to a refrigerator and I've never been happier, it stays dry as a bone. (sorry to be the bearer of bad news).

Back