Northern Brewer Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyote

Reaction score
I'm making Northern Brewer's Black IPA right now. Just thought I'd share. Have a great weekend all.

Ah man, I was so close to buying that kit, but opted for the facepuncher IPA instead. Keep me posted on how it turns out.

i just ordered this kit myself. any clue what kind of FG to expect with the s-05?

Did anyone do the extract kit and increase hops? I feel like 1 oz (chinook I believe) at sixty minutes will not give me the good bitterness of an ipa. It's only a 2.5 gallon boil so I wouldn't get the full potential as of it we an5 gallon boil

I was thinking about adding another oz at 60 minutes but I wanted to hear what others say about it who did not modify it at all.

Thanks

Brewed the all grain version a few months ago and it finished up around 1.012 with US-05. This is a great recipe and I think it really hits the mark for a black ipa, I've really enjoyed drinking it.

I am a new brewer and want to try Northern Brewers Black IPA kit. People rave about this being excellent and before I buy may modify based on my tastes. Ideally I'd make something as balanced as Deschutes Hop in the Dark. Can anyone tell me how it compares?

Seeking final result to have the body and mouthfeel as the Hop in the Dark:: slight roast and malt from dark grains and oatmeal with strong citrus hop deliciousness...Recently had Windmers Pitch Black IPA and didnt love the bitterness and dryness.

Also want to convert Northern Brewers recipe to use pale malt.
Help?:fro:

I made this kit last month and had my first beer this past weekend. I can honestly say it's the best beer I've ever brewed. It will definitely have a permanent spot in my keezer.

Back