Are uncrushed grains 11+ months old still good to use for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ran out of pale malt and there is no LHBS within 80+ miles drive so I bought a 50 lb bag of uncrushed pale malt from another homebrewer in the nearby town. After I got home I noticed some tape covering part of the label of the bag. The bag was filled/processed on April 11, 2011. Does anyone know if these grains will still be good to use and if so should I adjust my recipes at all for their age.? [I trust that the homebrewer kept them cool and dry in his basement.]

Id echo edwort's comments, if its clean and dry you should be safe.. I took a 2 yr hiatus from brewing and had a couple sacks of barley sit over that time. the beer was just find afterwards

I just brewed a super light blonde ale with 85% Pilsner malt about that age and it is very nice. You will be good!

What about crushed grain in a sealed bag? I forgot about a kit I had ordered back in November with crushed grain. Will a taste test work?

I had about 15 pounds of year old crushed grain that I used in a batch once. It made good beer. As long as it's kept dry, it's good.

What about crushed grain in a sealed bag? I forgot about a kit I had ordered back in November with crushed grain. Will a taste test work?

See my post above. Mine was crushed the day I bought it. Put it away, and forgot about it for a little over a year. Figured I'd try brewing with it, and it came out just fine.

7 lbs 12 oz Pilsner malt
1 lbs wheat malt
4 oz mild malt (vienna would be a good sub)
.75 oz Saaz FWH
Magnum 60 min (I used .25 oz to hit 23 IBU)
.5 oz Saaz 5 minutes
US05 yeast

I mashed at 150 for 75 minutes and did a no sparge brew to hit an efficiency of 65%, 1.039 for 5.75G. Ferment in the mid 60s to get that extra clean flavor.

Back