Using a stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
So I am not sure where to put this, but I bought a stir plate and I don't know how to use it to make the starter. I know how to use the physical stir plate but I don't think I want to say, air lock the container with the thing string because air can't get in... or can it but it passes through a water filter? I am use to making starters the old fashioned way and wanted to try something new and fun. I suppose if I have to I can also get the bottle thing which filters the air going into the growler, but I am curious about how you all do it.

Thanks!

Right. You don't want to seal the container while using the stir plate. I use a large flask, and simply cover the opening with an overlap of aluminum foil. The foil keeps bugs from drifting into the container, but also allows gas exchange.

AHH! That was my mistake before. I used Serran wrap when I made a starter without a cap. That thing exploded all over the place... aluminum foil... excellent. I will try it this weekend! Thanks!

Back