automated burner parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantaloupe

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to ordering some of the parts for my brutus build with a HERMS system. I am using Honeywell VR8200, Q314 pilot burner, Thermocouple and 75 VA transformer for the gas control parts. I am going to go with a Love TCS temp controller. What I am now wondering is what kind of regulator I need to get for my portable propane tank? I know if has to be a low pressure but I was wondering if you guys had any links. Secondly, since I don't know much about gas fittings I was wondering the best way to plumb everything. What type of fittings, hoses, pipes and hose clamps if applicable? Any help on this would be great.

Check out tejas smokers, you only need your regulator to go to 5 psi. I have one that goes to 20 and I never take it over 5. You will want to use 1/2" galvanized or Stainless Steel pipe with NPT threads and gas ball valves. Do not forget your Teflon tape either. The yellow not the white as the white is for plumbing. To fit the regulator you will need the 3/8" SAE gas swivel adapter to fit your 1/2" intake on your rig or whatever size you chose to use.

Thinking about doing something similar - phase I of a HERMS build all propane. Care to share where you found the best pricing for parts Cantaloupe?

You will need a Marshall 290 series low pressure regulator to feed the gas pipe manifold built from 1/2" black pipe and malleable fittings. For the flex from gas shutoff valves to burner you need the flex hoses sold for water heater gas connection. Most if not all the plumbing parts can be found at HD or Lowes, the regulator at a RV parts supplier. Using a pressure regulator with more than 13" (1/2 Psi) will not work with the honeywell gas valves, they lock shut for safety reasons.

Thanks that helps with the next round of shopping. Is it best to put a manual gas valve before or after the electric gas valve for flame adjustment?? Will all of this work with a 10 in low pressure hurricane burner? My only other question is what fittings/hose are used to plumb the pilot light? Thanks again.

Place the manual flame adjust valve after the automatic gas valve, when you get burners going leave manual valve wide open and adjust regulator built into the automatic valve to set max flame level. This makes fine tuning with the manual valve much easier as the change in valve setting does not have as large an effect this way. For the pilot burner, either 1/4" copper or aluminum tubing is used, blow tube out after cutting and reaming as small shavings will plug the .010 opening in the pilot burner. Check the bag the pilot burner comes in for the .010 jet, most are shipped with the .018 NG jet installed, unscrew fitting from pilot body and swap jets for LP use.
If you did not buy the low pressure jets for the burner you can drill them out to 3/32" or buy the conversion jet/valve combination from Williams Brewing supply.

That burner is way too large for anything less than 1-2 barrel systems, stay with the 10" banjo burner and use the metal gas flex hose that has flared end connectors to go between manual valve and burner. The jet burners look impressive but do not turn down cleanly like the banjo burners do, and most installations seen place them 1 foot below the kettle to allow them enough air to function.
The flex hoses are sold with 1/2" pipe to 3/8" flare adapters on both ends, remove adapter on end for burner and attach flare nut to burner gas jet fitting. There have been a number of builds shown on this site that have used the 10" burners and yellow gas flex connectors to connect valves to burners which is the easiest way to go. Here is a link for the gas jet/ valve assembly for LP http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-BURNER-LPG-GAS-VALVE-P2690C87.aspx, and one for the gas flex http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqpfZ1z114gr/R-100126718/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

PLOVE - I haven't done a ton of shopping around. I got the valve and parts from pexsupply. Everything seems pretty close when you shop. The control panel parts I was able to get mostly from old panels at my melon packing shed.

Thanks Cantaloupe. Kinda what I was hoping for. Don't mind paying for product, but hate to get blindsided and ripped off.

Back