Cleaning Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjbesinger

Reaction score
First off I wanted to say that my first batch was fantastic!! An IPA, which by the way gets way better after a solid 4-5 weeks in the bottle.
I am working on the second batch already and wanted to hear what the best way to sterilize my carboy is. I have the no rinse solution and a curved wand brush, is that all that I need? I am thinking I would put in one "serving" of the no rinse solution and swish that around and get the neck with the brush, anything I might be overlooking?

pjbesinger said:
First off I wanted to say that my first batch was fantastic!! An IPA, which by the way gets way better after a solid 4-5 weeks in the bottle.
I am working on the second batch already and wanted to hear what the best way to sterilize my carboy is. I have the no rinse solution and a curved wand brush, is that all that I need? I am thinking I would put in one "serving" of the no rinse solution and swish that around and get the neck with the brush, anything I might be overlooking?

very hot tap water and the curved brush work well to get the gunk out. to sanitize (not sterilize) just fill the puppy up with water and your sanitizer of choice and let is sit for the recommended time on the sanitizer instructions.

cheers, loop

edit: congrats on your first brew!

Dont confuse cleaning with sanitizing...

For cleaning, I like to soak carboys overnight with strong bleach solution or oxy cleaner. They almost neer require any scrubbing after that--just a good rinsing.

I use bleach, around 2-3 ounces. To make things easier to handle, I put about 2 gallons of water, an undrilled stopper and set it upside down in my utility sink. That gets the gunk ring out in about 24 hours. If you set it upright you need about 5-6 gallons to soak the ring making it a bit hard to handle.

careful with very hot water - you can thermal shock the glass carboy
i have lost a couple that way

:rockin:
Thanks for the info. I did give it a solid rinse after I emptied it of the last batch. I will fill 'er up and soak it tonight to clean it. I will also follow directions on the sanitizer to make sure it is free of bacteria.

Back