Filtering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscutter

Reaction score
So I'm brewing an extract w/grains version of an English Brown Ale and I've made a bit of a mess of it (I think). This was my first batch using any kind of grains (second batch overall) and I got a bit carried away with trying to "do it right". I had read that with this kind of brew, you should crack the grains before steeping. I failed to realize that they were already cracked. So I ended up with quite a bit of over-cracked grains.

When I transferred to my secondary, I noticed that there was quite a bit of grain particulate floating around in the brew. I've taken a couple of samples and it's now ready to bottle. The samples appeared to be pretty clear, but I'm still concerned that I'm going to end up pulling grit in when I siphon to the bottling bucket and that I'll end up with a rather crunchy beer.

This is my wife's "birthday" brew so I'd really like to to come out clean.

Any suggestions on how to filter it at this point? Should I bother?

If you have a kegging system you could go with straight up filtering. Otherwise, I would just let it settle out in secondary and maybe use gelatin to help clarify it a bit.

In secondary, the grains should settle out. Just make sure that when you transfer the beer, you're not drawing the beer from the very bottom. You could also attach a stainless steel or copper scrubber to the bottom of your racking cane to help filter out any bits. Boil the scrubber for about 10 minutes before doing this as a precaution. Just do not pour the beer through a strainer! You'll end up aerating it; and you don't want to do that at this stage.

Wow! Thank you all for offering advice and help so quickly!

Well, no kegging system yet, so that one is out. And I already ran it through a strainer before primary fermentation, so I doubt that would do much good anyway (not that I was planning on trying). And I don't have a stainless or copper scrubber, so that's no good either :D .

I was thinking about trying something like Blender's suggestion but wasn't sure if there was a right way/wrong way or if I should try to put the hop bag at the bottom of the racking cane (auto siphon in this case) or at the end of the hose.

Just start the siphon holding it at the top of the brew, and slowly work it down while siphoning, then when you get close to the trub at the bottom, simply stop siphoning. You might end up with 1-2 bottles less then you normally would, but the beer will be clear. Also, when the bottles sit and condition in the cupboard or what not for a few weeks, im sure most of the grist will settle out! :D

Just an FYI for all the helpful folks who responded. I went ahead and bottled last night.

I ended up using a plumbing screen (boiled and sanitized) which I managed to fit into the intake of my auto siphon. I really don't think it was necessary though, it looks like erbiumyag was absolutely right and it all settled out in the secondary. Everything looked nice and clean on the way to the bottling bucket and after bottling the dregs left in the bucket were clean as well.

Thanks again for the help!

Back