Going on Vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
I'm leaving tomorrow on a cruise ship to go chase a hurricane up the east coast of the US into Canada. One of our ports of call is Halifax, Nova Scotia. There is a brewery tour for Alexander Keiths Brewery around where the ship docks. Anyone been there? Its not a cheap tour, and I'll probably have to leave my wife and kids behind to take the tour, but I was thinking about doing it.... Thoughts?

DO IT!!! Book your wife for a massage and the kids for one of those kid-adventure-camp dealies they do on cruises. They'll love you for it. you better take plenty of pics and post em here if you know what's good for you...

I did the Kieths tour last week....I would skip it. It was a "show" to are apparently transported through time and you watch a video and get a $0.10 tour of a fake brewery. It was WAY over priced $18 and you don't even get a glass to take home with you.

I went to Garrison Brewing it was $16 you got to sample 6 of their beers, and get a pint of your favorite and a glass to take home with you.

You can also call propeller they have a minimum 10 person tour but you might get lucky and get to tag on with another group.

The Rogue's Roost is apparently a great brew pub and have 60 beers on tap ( I never made it, it was a crazy busy trip)

There is another brewery that is slipping my mind at the moment, If I remember I'll post back here or maybe someone can name it.

John

Thanks for the info.. I would have been pretty disappointed it sounds like...

Are those other breweries in the area? I'm supposed to have a day there total.

Wow. $18 beer tours. The world is sure changing. Of course, none of the tours we took a few weeks ago in Fort Collins, CO had free beer, just free tours. With the mentality of a lot of people when it comes to free samples, though, I can understand it.

O'Dells had a nice tasting room where you could buy flights (or whatever you liked) and they ran the tour out of there (Saturdays only). Ft. Collins Brewing was the most to my liking, same setup but the brewmaster conducted the tour and he'd tap off little glasses of green beer of various styles, at various stages in the process and let us taste them, and I really enjoyed that. We hit Twisted Pine in Boulder on Ladies' Day + Happy Hour (the latter now illegal where we come from in IL), so it was really cheap drinking that afternoon. Plus, I went back to watch the process through the windows, and the owner was back there & invited me in to look over the process. Fun visit.

Thanks John.. I think I'll at least give Garrison a taste test... Hopefully we'll miss this storm and be able to pull into port behind it.

Well, we just got back from our trip... I did make it to Garrisons.. thanks for the recommendation.. it was worth it. Got to sample the beers and I even brought a 6 pack home.

How was the weather? They had some different beers, the amber with the citrus hops really caught me off guard. What was your favorite beer?

Weather was great... we ended up getting behind the storm. It was rough on Sat as we left NY, but after Sunday afternoon, the water calmed down and the weather was perfect.

I didn't have the citrus one... the specialty one they had this time was a jalapeno flavored beer. If you like jalapeno's, I bet it was really good. It had a nice crisp flavor, but I don't like peppers, especially in my beer. I'm not normally into Hoppy beers, but their Hop Yard Ale and unfiltered IPA were great.

Latest posts

Back