Too much stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
So recently a friend of mine said he had some extra ingredients and couldnt use the for the rest of the summer and asked me if I wanted them. Of course being the economically minded individual I said yes please.

Now I knew that he brewed a lot but I had no idea that I was about to get what I got. And now out of nowhere I have over 140 lbs of assorted malts (wheat, pale, crystal, etc.) and 7lbs of different hops as well as a smack pack. And all the hops and malts are all organic as well since my friend has a good connection somewhere.

My question is, what does one do with all of this stuff? I have mainly been, until now, an extract brewer but it seems as though I will at least have to move into partial mash brewing. However I cant even fathom using 7lbs of hops within the next two years since ill probably only brew ever other weekend at most. I am also heading back up to school in about two months as well and do not have a lot of time left to brew until at least the winter.

So some more specific are; How long can I keep the grains for before they go bad? If the hops are airtight sealed and in the freezer how long might they last? Would anyone be interested in buying or trading for some of this stuff? i am looking to get a good number of things to upgrade my brewing process.

Maybe list the stuff you know you won't use, here in the classifieds section.

Send them my way! Seriously though, Im sure you could get rid of any and all those goodies on this forum in the classifieds, especially the hops...

vaccuum seal what you can and look for a cheap allgrain setup. It certainly seems like you have plenty of stuff to experiment with!

Keep the brew going!

GO to AG! Seriously, what's holding you back? It's very easy if you've already done several extract batches.

Also, if you just can't use it all, there may be someone local or on the forums who can use some ingredients.

This is the best type of problem to have!! :rockin: Just make one Big A** Imperial IPA with the hops, then give the rest to me.:D You should invest in AG equipment, or sell the ingredients in the classified section here. Or again, you can always give your ingredients to me!! :ban:

GO to AG! Seriously, what's holding you back? It's very easy if you've already done several extract batches.

Also, if you just can't use it all, there may be someone local or on the forums who can use some ingredients.

Just my $.02, but I would try partial mash before jumping into AG. It's a nice balance between the two and you don't have to freak out too much about temp and timing and some of the extra equipment it takes. SWMBO says we're already over capacity on storage space, so it's a perfect compromise for my brewing efforts.

/still trying to calibrate my outdoor burner....grumble

hey I'm in CT, what kinds of hops do you have? I have a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler lying around and maybe some other stuff if your looking to trade a couple ounces.

I'm in CT as well. I don't have much to offer, but if you were looking to unload, I'd definitely be interested!!

Me love you long..

I mean, I live in Hamden, and work in Bridgeport. You have an awesome friend BTW.

Based on the fact that you're still in school, I'd say sell it in the classifieds. If you had a place of your own and the space though, going AG would have to be mandatory with a haul like that.

Just my $.02, but I would try partial mash before jumping into AG. It's a nice balance between the two and you don't have to freak out too much about temp and timing and some of the extra equipment it takes. SWMBO says we're already over capacity on storage space, so it's a perfect compromise for my brewing efforts.

Brew in a bag is a great way to go all-grain if you're squeezed for storage space. Basically just one bag more than standard full-boil extract equipment.

Back