Looking for a SCOBY in denver/boulder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDWHAHB

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this belongs here or the classifieds. I am looking for a SCOBY in Denver or Boulder.I live in Golden and work in Boulder. If you had a few minutes to show me your process I'd appreciate that too.
Thanks, Jeff

Thanks, I will do that if needed. Just figured somebody musty be throwing out nice healthy SCOBYs somewhere around here.

buzbey said:
I was reading online recently about being able to grow a scoby from a commercial kombucha if your not able to find one

I recently did a 1 gal batch from store bought kombucha. it took a while for the scoby to grow but now it's off to a 2 gol batch and growing nicely. At the store I just held up the bottles up to find the one with the most sediment and I fermented on top of the water heater. Good luck.

You should be able to walk down the street in boulder and find one. Just sniff for the strongest smell of patchouli and ask that guy/girl.

I have an extra SCOBY but I'm in Colorado springs:(. Wish I would've seen this yesterday because I drove through golden for WSOP in blackhawk!

Just ask around. You'd probably be surprised how many people know of Kombucha and/or brew it themselves.

And go to Whole Foods.

You guys win, I'll stop being lazy and try to grow a SCOBY. Did 4 cups water, 2 black tea (allegro brand) bags, 1/3 cup sugar, and 8 oz of GT's with the baby SCOBY thing in it. Got that going in a 1/2 gal jar. I also got an aquarium heater that should keep a water bath around 76-80 deg f, because my house has been around 60. I have 6 six 1/2 gal jars, so I'll probably start another in a couple days and see if one does better. My hesitation was that some people claim they had trouble after the reformulation of commercial kombucha to minimize alcohol.

Xpertskir said:
You should be able to walk down the street in boulder and find one. Just sniff for the strongest smell of patchouli and ask that guy/girl.

That's funny !! They can teach you how to make patchouli oil too, of course after you've gotten to know your adopted scoby.

Back