0 min Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper77

Reaction score
What does this mean! I've never known. I'm doing a bath tonight that calls for one ounce of cascade for 0 minutes. Anyone?

It's also called the flameout addition. It is just what it means, and the end of the boil, you turn the heat off and drop in the hops. The idea is that you will get hop aroma without driving off the essential oils of the hop which are volatile, and can be lost in a boil.

Thanks for the fast replies! I wish I could take a bath with hops! So I add them at flameout....do I leave them in to ferment? Or remove once the wort has cooled?

You do what you normally do with your beers. If you're the kind that dumps everything in the fermenter, you do so, if you're the kind that strains their beer, then strain, either way is fine. Neither way affects the beer.

Thanks for the quick replies everybody. Just started my sparge. After 3 years of brewing I finally know what that means. I never thought to ask. Whenever a recipe called for it usually just add at 5 mins. Thanks again!

Back