Why is my English IPA so hazy?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
It was crystal clear when I added the dry hop addition- 1 oz EKG. It's been kegged for 2 weeks and it still looks like a damn Hef! I'm so confused. Might it be that I used a hop bag?

Does it clear up if you let a glass warm up to room temperature? If so, it's just chill haze. Another few weeks in the keg should drop it out.

Could be a bit of a hop haze from dry hopping. Those oils can get tangled up, sometimes I get it on my IPA's. Not sure what causes it.

zachattack said:
Does it clear up if you let a glass warm up to room temperature? If so, it's just chill haze. Another few weeks in the keg should drop it out.

I'll try it out, though I've seen chill haze many times before and this is much thicker. Hmm.

steber said:
Could be a bit of a hop haze from dry hopping. Those oils can get tangled up, sometimes I get it on my IPA's. Not sure what causes it.

That seems to be the case for me too- the only beers I ever make the end up hazy are Weiss or IPA.

Obliviousbrew said:
hop haze, happens no biggy, just a cosmetical issue in an IPA.

While I'm pretty sure hop haze is a contributor, I just warmed up a sample and sure enough, it cleared up. I'll chalk it up to chill haze and hope it drops out over the next week or two. Either way, I'll drink it.

Does anyone have any tricks for combating chill haze? I've brewed since 2002, currently avg 199 gallons per year (umm... ;)), and I've never experienced it on any beer but 1.065+ IPA.

Uff chill haze the menace of homebrewers. What i did to get rid of it is a combination of things: mash temps, at dough in at 55 C (sorry I´m metric) and hold it there for about 5 minutes (this is giving me clearer beer and better head), using a very flocculating yeast strain and cold crash and cold condition the beer before bottling/kegging. PLus keeping bottles or kegs one week in cold temeperatures and now everything is crystal clear. Once in a blue moon I get some chill haze but 99% of my beers are crystal clear

Obliviousbrew said:
Uff chill haze the menace of homebrewers. What i did to get rid of it is a combination of things: mash temps, at dough in at 55 C (sorry I´m metric) and hold it there for about 5 minutes (this is giving me clearer beer and better head), using a very flocculating yeast strain and cold crash and cold condition the beer before bottling/kegging. PLus keeping bottles or kegs one week in cold temeperatures and now everything is crystal clear. Once in a blue moon I get some chill haze but 99% of my beers are crystal clear

I usually batch sparge, so your first recommendation won't work for me. Everything else you said I already do. I guess I'm not too concerned about it.

My pliny clone is cloudy as hell and clear when warmed up. If you get some clarity ferm it may help some. Not worth the cost for me to buy it again though.

Back