Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AbuMaia said:
I live about a football-field's distance from some train tracks. Whenever a train goes by, I can feel it shaking the house slightly. Might this disturb the lees enough that it doesn't really clear up properly?

Ha! That's a good one ;) no it shouldn't be a problem. If anything it will jiggle everything and encourage it to drop.

Well, a couple days ago I just got that urge to ferment something. I've got enough beer made for the next couple months, so I thought, mead! So today I picked up what I needed to make this simple little recipe. I did alter it just a touch. I juiced and zested the orange instead of just slicing it up and dropping it in. I only used 3 lbs of honey, as well. If I end up liking this, I'm definitely going to do a grapefruit version. OG seemed kinda high at 1.130 but I'm going to add water in a couple days to top it off after activity slows down. Used organic wildflower honey. Hoping this goes well!

I did a pick grapefruit version of this and did the regular version. The grapefruit is comeing along great. The orange one is only a few weeks in so its still foaming up and stuff. Can't what to try these 2

So, I opened my final bottle of the first batch I made about seven months ago. It is crystal clear and very tasty. I did use an extra cinnamon stick (wish I didn't) and it was a little strong cinnamon flavored but other than that I am very happy with it!

Made a gallon batch yesterday. I used wyeast dry mead yeast though. Quick question.
mead.jpg

Is it normal for the honey to settle. I hope I didn't mess this up

Made a gallon batch yesterday. I used wyeast dry mead yeast though. Quick question.
mead.jpg

Is it normal for the honey to settle. I hope I didn't mess this up

Totally normal. The yeastie-beasts will munch the honeypile a millimeter or so at a time. Its kind of fun to watch.

CreamyGoodness said:
Totally normal. The yeastie-beasts will munch the honeypile a millimeter or so at a time. Its kind of fun to watch.

Yep, watch them turn it right on into shmutz ;)

Thanks guys I was worried. It's been 24 hours now and it's going nuts. The cinnamon stick is dancing all around the honey layer. I used wyeast dry mead yeast not the ops suggestion but hey I was at the brew store anyhow. I'm looking forward to this though. I need to hook up a blow off tube soon though

mead1.jpg

After 2 months of fermenting almost all of my fruit is still floating, but the mead is starting to clear. Is this normal for this mead?

After 2 months of fermenting almost all of my fruit is still floating, but the mead is starting to clear. Is this normal for this mead?

Totally. If you give the jug a wiggle (not a shake) you might find that some of the fruit starts to descend. Its the clearing, not the fruit, thats the barometer for "done," the fruit dropping just makes it easier to bottle/rack off.

Just bottled my first batch today. Debating on rebottling a few of them. I got 6 out of 10 clear bottles and 4 had some yeast in them. The last 2 got all the yeast from the bottom of the secondary since the jug fell over during bottling. Debating on what to do. The 6 clean bottles I put in a box and taped it up and threw it in the closet. The other 4 I will probably drink sooner, just not sure how soon.

Was debating on cold crashing the 2 yeasty bottles and pouring into another bottle to make it yeast free, and combining the yeasty bottles for the earlest drinker.

This brings up whether the yeast matters when aging in a bottle or better methods to bottling. How long can you age it with yeast on the bottom?

I used a racking cane with bottling wand and the 1 gallon jug fell over when I tilted the bottle to get the end of the batch. I lost a few ounces that soaked up into some napkins which I tried that. It has the noticeable pith, but otherwise was pretty smooth with little rocket fuel bite. I think the batch is around 5 months old, but still has a ways to go before I tear into them.

714cfca25b7711e2929322000a9e0719_7.jpg

My ten bottles and batch #2 which is ready to be racked, but I stirred it up way too much bringing it to the kitchen. The layer of yeast was minimal on the one I bottled, but it still made it into a few bottles.

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water
11.jpg

Here's a pic of my joam going. Its a Mountbatten in. The one next to it is Joe's easy grape Mead

ForumRunner_20130111_162753.png

What should I do at this point? I don't know if my 1 gal batch of JAOM is ready to bottle or not. Today makes exactly 3 months and here is a pic of it. Doesn't seem very clear. I pretty much followed the recipe exactly. The only thing I did slightly different was shave some of the outside of the orange peel with a carrot slicer and added that instead of the whole orange peels. I saw a bubble come up the air lock when I went down and took the pic today. It doesn't bubble often, but does sometimes. It has been in my basement which is dark the majority of the time and probably stays cooler than the first floor, so I would guess the temp is average low 60s. The first picture was today (01/11/2013), the 2nd pic was after I topped it off at like 48 hrs or so. I pitched on 10/11/2012

also, I just went down and looked at it and there are still some little bubbles coming up the sides from the fruit. Will this thing ever stop lol.

JAOM1_01_11_2013_2.jpg

JAOM1 before pic.jpg

hmm, any input on the above post I made last week? Should I rack it into a secondary for some bulk aging or leave it alone to clear more? I am just wondering because it has been past the 3 month mark.

Its not ready .put it in a warmer place and see if it starts clearing.

Mines only a mounth in and its almost clear. Here's a pic

ForumRunner_20130116_140659.jpg

It doesn't look like a setup the ancients would have used but it should work. Now just the wait for it to be ready! Something fun to try between brews and I bet it was well worth the cost of the ingredients.

image-164707748.jpg

mine is six months old and the fruit just finally dropped out, i wouldn't be too worried at the 3 month mark. like someone said, relax, have a homebrew.

I have not made this in some time but I will say my two year old version was scored a 45 in competition by a well know and highly regarded national judge. The same batch at three years old with just a bit of additional spice blending took 2nd in Best of Show Mead in a fairly large comp. I had a few people who did not believe I made it with bread yeast.

If you are on the fence about trying this recipe do not hesitate. Follow the recipe to the letter and you will make something very pleasant.

My first attempt at any kind of brewing and so far so good at 30 days....cleared up very nicely! You can see my kitchen table and chairs through the mead!

5uiczt.jpg

Those new to the thread, just know that bomber and I have been ragging on each other for a while now out of a sense of fun...

because he's a tool.

I dunno why but everytime I see this thread show up in the newest posts I can't help but think why dear god why.
I always look for the best ingredients to make my beverages out of and this seems to be a thread dedicated to a prison brew version of mead.

I dunno why but everytime I see this thread show up in the newest posts I can't help but think why dear god why.
I always look for the best ingredients to make my beverages out of and this seems to be a thread dedicated to a prison brew version of mead.

I think this is a similar argument to why would you have a cheesesteak when a lovely rib-eye is available. It's a different critter, its preferable in some instances for a change, and its definitely cheaper.

This doesnt even take into account that if it werent for JAOM some people would not have gotten into the hobby at all. If you have to plunk down $100+ before you even see if you like the hobby, you might beg off.

I have a few 1/2 gallon growlers laying around so I'm thinking about making a gallon of this today.

I read the first few pages and the last couple pages looking for info on a primary and secondary. Is this just a primary fermentation and you don't transfer? Just leave it for 6-9 months? I've heard over a year is best?

- Destin

I have a few 1/2 gallon growlers laying around so I'm thinking about making a gallon of this today.

I read the first few pages and the last couple pages looking for info on a primary and secondary. Is this just a primary fermentation and you don't transfer? Just leave it for 6-9 months? I've heard over a year is best?

- Destin

True. This is by far the easiest brew you will ever make, and has very few steps or reasons to fiddle with it.

Back