Tasting pointers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
So I just stopped by Cape Fear Beer & Wine, a fine local specialty beer shop, and picked up a mixed sixxer. I can't really afford to spend tons, so don't give me too hard a time on my selection... Here's what I got:

* Bellhaven- Wee Heavy, Scottish Ale
* Allagash- Grand Cru
* Franziskaner- Weissbier
* Southampton- Double White Ale
* Weyerbacher- Ras. Imp. Stout
* Gaffel- Kolsch

My quest is to maybe find out where I might start looking for what I want to brew next. To that end, what should I be "experiencing" in these beers? Anyone want to help identify any of the features I might like or dislike about any one of theses as I try them?

Thanks,
Matt

The Bellhaven:
P1020603.JPG

OK, this might not have been the ideal one to start with, but as I have a Scotch Ale in secondary at the moment I had to see if this is what I was envisioning when I selected the kit.

It's got a deep root beer brown color, and poured with a nice head of foam. It smells wonderful, but not awfully aromatic, kind of like a bowl of hot breakfast cereal, in a good way. Sorry, that's what I pictured with my nose in the cup and my eyes closed... It's also got very fine tiny bubbles. ABV for this one is 6.5%, and it's not readily apparent until well after the beer has gone down the throat. I get a light warm feeling a few seconds afterwards (my batch is measured at about 4.2% when it went to secondary). It's definitely sweet to start on the tongue, but for all the malt talk about Scotch ales, I'm really not get a blast of malty flavor from this one.

Bottom line, I like it alright, but I wouldn't pick this one for guys night out, or for a refreshing drink after a round of golf on a hot day. I also wouldn't drink more that one of these in a sitting. I hope mine has more maltiness, and maybe not just as sweet, if that's not too contradictory?

ma2brew said:
The Bellhaven:
P1020603.JPG

OK, this might not have been the ideal one to start with, but as I have a Scotch Ale in secondary at the moment I had to see if this is what I was envisioning when I selected the kit.

It's got a deep root beer brown color, and poured with a nice head of foam. It smells wonderful, but not awfully aromatic, kind of like a bowl of hot breakfast cereal, in a good way. Sorry, that's what I pictured with my nose in the cup and my eyes closed... It's also got very fine tiny bubbles. ABV for this one is 6.5%, and it's not readily apparent until well after the beer has gone down the throat. I get a light warm feeling a few seconds afterwards (my batch is measured at about 4.2% when it went to secondary). It's definitely sweet to start on the tongue, but for all the malt talk about Scotch ales, I'm really not get a blast of malty flavor from this one.

Bottom line, I like it alright, but I wouldn't pick this one for guys night out, or for a refreshing drink after a round of golf on a hot day. I also wouldn't drink more that one of these in a sitting. I hope mine has more maltiness, and maybe not just as sweet, if that's not too contradictory?

Nice review! I'm not a wee heavy fan, since I also think they're too sweet and, well, heavy. I've had a couple that were "all right", too.

Just noticed this got moved. Sorry, and thanks to the mod who placed it in a more appropriate section:eek:

Went with the Weissbier:
P1020605.JPG

Historically I've never been a big hefe fan. I don't know if this is the one to change my feelings, but it's drinkable.

I like the color of this one and, aside from the cloudiness, it reminds me of pouring a pilsner. The head is good, but doesn't hang around for very long. The nose on this one is much more interesting then the Wee Heavy. It's got a floral scent, with slight banana hints. This is a nice contrast to the Scot, and it's actually a brew I would be happy to order on a hot day after a round of golf, and I'd probably be happy having this with a nice grilled chicken sandwich too. Sorry, I'm just rolling with my inspiration here...

There's some spice in the aftertaste here. I can't nail it yet, but it's different then the initial citrus tone I get while the beer's on my tongue. I don't know if I care for it or not, but it could grow on me.

This could make me try a hefe of my own after not too long.

I went with the Allagash Grand Cru.
P1020606.JPG

Let's just begin by saying I'm not really impressed. There was no head to speak of, and what little there was after the pour disappeared within seconds. There is carbination in the beer, so it's just a problem with head retention. Allagash labels this brew as a spiced beer, and the girl at the store said it was an American interpretation of a Saison. The spices don't come through in the aroma, and they pretty much fail to present on the tongue as well. It kind of tastes like a SNPA with half a pack of Equal tossed in. While it's labeled as having 7.2% ABV, I don't get that sense at all, and it fails to feel like a seasonal beer at all.

This one ain't my thing.

I'm trying to spread these out over the evening. I don't really need to get buzzed, and I'd like to cleanse the palate in between bottles.

Cheers,
Matt

Well, after drinking 41 oz ( the Belhaven was a 500ml bottle, or 1 pint .9 oz according to the label) of imported and domestic higher than avg. ABV brew, and then eating a largish dinner with the family I'm holding off on the other 3 bottles for tomorrow evening.

I'd call tonight's winner the Weissbier. Upon a little more research it appears the spice flavor in it I was trying to place is actually the yeast, which is renowned for its clove overtones.

The Grand Cru was not my thing, and I'm now hoping the Scotch Ale I have in my secondary carboy isn't as sweet as the Wee Heavy I had tonight, although my wife actually loved that Belhaven, and I know it won't go to waste if I find I don't really like it. I'm now wishing I picked up a bitter or traditional pale ale. I'm really looking forward to the Kolsch as well. This is a beer I'd never even heard of before starting research on homebrewing. The Southampton is another I'm hoping is good.

We'll see soon enough, and thanks for following along. If anyone would like to correct any of assessments here I'm really open to some education on the subject. I don't claim to be any bit an expert, I am just winging this based on my untrained senses...

Matt

I for one must say that I quite enjoyed reading what you wrote for the very fact that it wasn't steeped in all those overly flowery descriptions and jargon - which I still haven't really gotten used to. Your descriptive yet still brief enough and stick to the point. Nice one mate.

Argg, but this really makes the wait for my 18th unbearable - I'd just love to go and pick up a few bottles and do just what you've done, and mum and dad never have the time to spare to go themselves. I guess I'll just have to stick with what I've brewed myself, and wait out for that extra month and 15days. Although I have a feeling that there may not be many liquor shops open on Christmas day, but I've gone completely off the topic, :cross:.

Looking forwards to you opening up those three other bottles and telling us about them.

ma2brew said:
To that end, what should I be "experiencing" in these beers? Anyone want to help identify any of the features I might like or dislike about any one of theses as I try them?

Thanks,
Matt

IMHO the key to sampling unknown styles and beers is to approach the glass with an open mind.

You need to remember that if you have never had a particular style, the example in your glass may or may not be typical of the style. Heck, the beer in your glass may not even be typical of that brewer's beer if it has been improperly stored/handled. You can consult the bjcp guidelines and sites like ratebeer & beeradvocate to get info about styles, brews and see how your experience compares to others.

Everyone has different preferences and yours may shift over time as well.

The Kolsch...
P1020607.JPG

It's clear. Looking at last night's picks, which all were more translucent than transparent, this one looks clean. It tastes it too. To me, this is beer. The initial taste is similar to a good pilsner, but the complexity of the brew is quick to show itself following the swallow. This beer is tasted more on the sides and back of the tongue, rather than the tip. I don't think I'm really getting a fruity taste, as is mentioned on the neck label of the bottle, but there's definitely a faintly fruity smell. I'm glad I chose this pictured glass for this one, as it really focuses the nose when you take a sip. This beer is dry, and refreshing. At 4.8% ABV I wouldn't call it a session beer, but I could drink a number of these at a sitting. As for a food pairing that came to mind, I'm picturing a nice plate of Italian cold cuts, with a healthy amount of spicy salame and coppa, as well as a stronger cheese and some crusty bread. This is just the beer to cut through the saltiness of the salame, and compliment it at the same time. I'd feel bad drinking it with a pizza, unless the pizza was made by hand and cooked in a wood-fired oven.

The shame of this one is that I don't currently have the refrigeration necessary to make a truly lagered Kolsch. I sure hope I can make an ale that has the bite of this one, without loading it too full of hops.

Any ideas for an extract/steep recipe that might have similar qualities to a nice Kolsch will be greatly appreciated!

Matt

And it's a Southampton Double White Ale.
P1020608.JPG

This is described as a "Double Gravity" version of a classic Belgian-style white ale. As I've never had a classic Belgian White Ale, I can't say exactly if this does it justice, but this is tasty. The neck label also says it also has coriander and Curacao orange. Both are evident, but neither is overpowering. Compared to the Allagash spiced beer, this spiced brew is done right, for me anyways. I don't see and ABV number on the bottle. The head was good when poured, and while thin after a couple minutes, it's still there halfway through the glass and I like that. This beer smells really good to me. The flavor hit the tongue more to the front and sides, which is different than the Kolsch, but it's still pleasant, and not sweet, but rather clean tasting. It's not as dry as the Kolsch. There's a nice layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle.

I think If this is what a Belgian Wit is then I'm going to be adding one of those to the list of beer to make soon.

Thanks JeanLucD and BierMiuncher for the kind words. As for discipline, I've spread the six pack over 2 nights, so that definitely helps, and if you look at last nights postings there was at least an hour between each one. There's even been a little more time passing tonight between beers. This isn't because I don't enjoy having a few brew back to back, but more because I spent almost $14 on a six pack:eek: and I'll be damned if I'm not going to try to get the most out of each of these beers. This is a journey for me. I've been around the Pacific with the USN, and had gallons of beers from Thailand, Phillipines, Hong Kong, Okinawa, Japan, and other similar locales. I am a Sacramento, CA native and have had my share of some pretty good brews from Rubicon, as well as Sudwerk and another place on the K St. mall that's name slips me at the moment (Dbl. Grav. White might be kicking in...).

For the most part though I've never really sat down and assessed the beers like this before. Now that I have the possibility of making my own beer, that might actually be something a cut above, I really wanted to start investigating my options.

Of course this all could simply be an excuse to get a buzz on pricey sudz:D

brewt00l, good points! I'm hoping if it becomes apparent that anything I've said is outright wrong that someone will point me towards a more type-correct brew. Other than that, I'm simply telling it like I taste it. I have no relation to any of these breweries.

Which I'm sure some are probably glad to hear:eek:

I saved the Weyerbacher Rasberry Imperial Stout for last.
P1020609.JPG

This could be a dessert. It tastes pretty good, and it is sweet. The raspberry is there in both scent and taste, but not in a Kool-aid type fruit punch way. If this were a movie then the berry would be an obvious supporting actor. OK, that might have been a little too much literary flourish. I'll blame it on the Southampton. Anyways, the head was pretty weak on this, but the carbination was good. The color is way dark, and the other flavors I'm getting off this are a slight coffee like bitterness, and it really tastes different on all the sections of my tongue. This stout is nothing like a Guinness. It's not really my thing, but it's not bad at all. I couldn't really pair this with anything food wise, because this feels like a beer that is a meal in itself. My wife just said that it could possibly go with a big salad dressed with a big balsamic dressing. I can see that.

I don't see myself brewing a stout anytime soon, but once I have a nice stockpile of other types I'm sure it might be nice to have a decent stout on the shelf as well.

As for the label, the salesgirl placed this one in the six pack holder while I was looking at other brews, so she obviously wanted to screw up my online review and slipped me the most mangled one they had!:mad:

Matt

this has been a very interesting, entertaining and well written thread. i kept anxiously refreshing it to look for new posts.

its great to go at new brews with an open mind like that because even if you arent impressed, you arent let down or dissapointed.

good work sir, cheers!:mug:

Thanks mr_stimey.

I just realized I didn't do a recap and final countdown...

1. The Kolsch was my hands down favorite.
  2. The Weissbier comes in at number 2. This was a surprise, as I didn't consider myself a hefe fan, but I guess if it's done right it's good!
  3. The Southampton Double White Ale was almost a 2nd place. Again this is not how I imagined things when I picked out this sixxer.
  4. 4th place goes to the Belhaven. My wife still places this one 1st, but there's no accounting for taste ;-)
  5. 5th goes to the Weyerbacher. I'm not calling this bad, in fact I was surprised by it, but I'm not going to be making any raspberry stout anytime soon.
  6. 6th was the Allagash. I was disappointed by this one. It came with a seal of approval from the shop, and the description was nice, but it failed to deliver. Maybe the only twist-off cap in the bunch should have been a give-away

Now the only problem is I'm once again out of beer:(

Matt

That was a good bit of writing. I enjoyed all your descriptions that sound like they are made by a normal person, not some psuedo intellectual (got my flame pants on)

I wish I could use all my tastes buds. I have very sensitive teeth so drinking anything cold means I have to drink down the center of my tounge. hard to get a full taste of what I'm drinking that way.

You going to do some more reviews when you get a spare $20 in your pocket?

Got paid today and stopped in at Cape Fear Beer and Wine. I mixed up a sixxer, but I have to admit, I got a repeat from the first six, the Southampton Double White Ale. I really like this stuff, and the more I looked around the fridge the more I had to have another bottle of this one. That's the setup for the next 5 reviews from an uncertified, non-expert beer fan.

Here's the beer:
13599-P1020814.jpg

I have to admit that I was impatient, and I cracked the Southampton Double White Ale pretty quickly after getting home. It was still very much to my liking, and after re-reading my previous opinion of this fine ale, I'm standing with my first review of this.

So, on to my second beer of the evening, but the first one I'm reviewing. I started this thread with the Belhaven Wee Heavy some time ago, and I'm beginning this set of reviews with the Belhaven Scottish Ale, in a can, with a widget. Sorry to be so succinct, so soon in my writeup, but I like this. It's much better than the Wee Heavy, to me that is. To begin with, I haven't had a can draught in a while, particularly one with a widget, but I'm not too proud to drink a beer from a can. I was rewarded with a nice pour, and that neat phenomenon of watching bubbles running down the sides of the glass, not up. Anyone who's poured out a can of Guinness know what I'm talking about. I couldn't help but picture Guinness when I cracked this can and started pouring it, and I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was kind of when I saw a lighter then expected shade of amber, and a fine bubbled but not very thick head. Now halfway through the pint, there's still a thin but nice creamy head on this glass of beer that clings to the side of the glass. I mention this with a little detail because I'm really enjoying the feel of this brew on my tongue. It got a smooth, not exactly creamy, but kind of silky wetness to it that is both refreshing and yet lingering in my mouth. I hope my Scotch Ale kit will attain this kind of mouthfeel after some time. I need to take better notes on what I need to add to future recipes to get this kind of body to my brew. On to the taste. This beer smells similar to the Wee Heavy, with a nice almost breakfasty scent, but instead of the syrupy sweet tones I got from the Wee Heavy, this ale is malty and yet balanced. Yes, there's still sweet flavors, as a Scottish ale is supposed to have (as I've read anyways), but it's not cloyingly so, and it is very rapidly put in check by a well balanced bitter tone that also doesn't overpower. The result is a beer that is on the malty side, and probably not to a hop head's liking, but one that I could really have a few more of, and it has given me hope in making more Scottish beers in the future. The ABV of this one is listed at 5.2%, so it's a little heavy for a session brew, but also not too strong to enjoy more than one in an evening. I could see myself eating something like a nice pasty or some other savory meat type of meal with this beer.
13599-P1020815.jpg

ma2brew said:
  1. The Weissbier comes in at number 2. This was a surprise, as I didn't consider myself a hefe fan, but I guess if it's done right it's good!

Matt, I really enjoyed your reviews.

BTW, good German Hefes are hard to come by here in the US b/c they need to be enjoyed fresh and don't travel well. Maybe in the winter, when they don't have to sit in hot containers, they might be better here.

Good job finding a Koelsch. This style and Alt are pretty hard to find in gerneral.

Kai

adx said:
Yes! More reviews. Keep them coming. I'll try to do the same thing next time I stop by Corridor Fine Wine to get a mix pack.
Definitely- do that! I'm the first to admit I don't know squat about all these beers. I thought I was cool because I recognized, and had tried all the various imports in the supermarket. Boy, was I wrong. Seeing all the imports and microbrews everyone talks about here on HBT, and then starting to really look at what the local specialty beer shops had was a real eye opener. I feel like a kid in a candy store, kinda. One of the pretty cool aspects of the store I'm currently visiting every couple weeks is that they have a bar license as well, so there's not just the staff, but some pretty knowledgeable patrons there frequently to help point me in the right direction when it comes to brew types.

Let me know if you find something that really stands out, and I'd be happy to pick one up at my shop and see if we agree on our assessments!

Kaiser said:
Matt, I really enjoyed your reviews.

BTW, good German Hefes are hard to come by here in the US b/c they need to be enjoyed fresh and don't travel well. Maybe in the winter, when they don't have to sit in hot containers, they might be better here.

Thanks for the kind words, and I agree about the Hefes. I'll keep trying them though, like it's so rough to keep drinking all that beer:D !

brewt00l said:
Might point you in the right direction on a Kolsch hunt:

http://ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopBeers...asp?StyleID=39

Great link! I'm printing it out and taking it with me to this shop next time I go. Hopefully they've got a few of those, or will get some in so I can give 'em a try.

Thanks,
Matt

The first of what will probably only be another two writeups.

Troublette, the "Artisanal Belgian Wheat Ale". First off, I don't know how to nail down the nose of this beer. I can't nail down coriander, orange, clove, bubblegum, banana or any other number of things that usually accompany an American version of a Belgian wheat. I guess it smells somewhat like a yeasty tutti-frutti. Almost like a stick of Juicy Fruit that might have been baked into a loaf of sourdough bread.

Once this brew hits the tongue there's a whole new ballgame, though. Blue Moon has nothing on this. There's distinct bitter orange and coriander, but also some other fruitiness I can't nail down. This is much crisper on the tongue than I imagined it was going to be, almost like a Pilsner. The ABV on this one's 5.5%, and I get the tiniest hint of a hot alcohol bite in the aftertaste, but it's not unpleasant, just noticeable. Halfway through the glass the head is gone, but the carbonation is still good. The flavor is definitely changing as the beer's temp raises, and the hot flavor is more distinct, I am assuming that this was fermented out with some of the renowned candy sugar. I liked this beer on the cooler side of it, as when I first poured it out. That's not too say I didn't enjoy this beer, but it is to say that it was somewhat of a letdown by the end of the glass. Perhaps my palette needs some more training, or I just need to drink these faster. It was a good beer, better than say the previously mentioned Blue Moon, but honestly I enjoyed the Southampton Double White last night more.

One final note, the label on this is beautiful. I don't know if the oil painting-like qualities come through on the forum, but my wife now wants something similar on her wine bottles.

13599-P1020817.jpg

The Bridgeport India Pale Ale, from the Portland, OR area.

This brew is bottle conditioned, and I made an immediate mistake of clouding it up by pouring the lot of this bottle's contents into my pint glass. Fortunately the last line on the neck label says I was permitted to do just that, as it supposedly tastes great, but it ruined the nice clear and clean pour I started...

I have to say that I am not a huge IPA fan, and while I like SNPA fine, I bought a sixxer of Red Hook Longhammer IPA a couple weeks ago to see how it was and I took a while to finish that six pack. This is better than both the Red Hook or the SNPA, and while the aroma is similar, with overtones of the PNW's evergreens and mild hints of grassiness, the flavor is somewhere between the Red Hook and the SNPA. It's closer to the Longhammer in boldness, but it's much more complex, and it doesn't make my tongue curl like the RH did. Did I mention I'm not a hophead? This isn't my kind of beer, and I'm pretty much settled on not making an IPA anytime soon. One other thing to note on this particular tasting, I'm eating a slice of pizza with this beer, and this stands up really well to both the pepperoni and sausage, but it kind of kills my tastebuds to the bell peppers on my pizza. This might be just the thing to go with a big helping of huevos rancheros topped with a spicy salsa, like for say after sleeping in until noon on a Saturday.

13599-P1020818.jpg

( as a side note - That's a brisket cooking in the crock pot behind the beer...)

I'm really enjoying these reviews. :) The funny thing is, I picked up a mixed sixer at the local World Market because I happened to be there. Granted, the beers I picked up are far more mundane than these. I'll still enjoy 'em, though, and I might review 'em as practice for reviewing the good stuff. *grins*

Keep 'em comin.

Just to answer any other questions about last night's pictures, that brisket just came out of the slow cooker after 15 hours. My house smells awesome!

13599-P1020819.jpg

Recipe:
-One biga$$ brisket, cut to fit in the slow cooker
-One bottle Bullseye BBQ sauce dumped over the top
-One or two tablespoons Hickory Liquid Smoke

Set the cooker on low and wait. When that formerly tough as a saddle brisket will fall apart on a fork it's done. Shred with a pair of forks. You can reserve the pan juice or simply top with some more Bullseye. Toss it on a nice roll and you've got a great BBQ Beef Brisket sandwich. No it ain't a classic Texas smoked one, but you can fool alot of people into thinking you smoked this thing for a day.

Now I wish I had another of those Belhaven Scottish Ale Draughts...

Silviakitty said:
*drooooools*
It is pretty tasty, if I'm not patting myself on the back too hard there...

My wife has already had 2 sandwiches full of this brisket this morning, and I'm the one who usually makes a pig of themselves. Maybe it's a byproduct of the 2 12oz bottles of Apfelwein she had last night. I think I'm going to need to start the new batch of that sooner than later!

I just cracked my first brew for Saturday. It's the Avery Brewing Co. White Rascal Belgian style wheat ale.

Damn. This is good.

The head on this wasn't anywhere near as big as the Troublette, and I fit the whole bottle in the glass without having to stop and wait for the head to subside, like I had to with both the Southampton and the Troublette. Carbonation is definitely slightly lower, but it's there and a good amount, just less than the previous wheats.

The scent is great. It's got hints of bubblegum, but is predominately orange peel, coriander and yeast, in that order. It really begs one to quaff ( To drink with gusto), and I did just that. I like this ale, and I think I just found a Belgian wheat I prefer over the Southampton. After drinking about half of this bottle down I looked a little closer and I think I found one of the reasons I am into this one, it's got Czech Saaz hops! Have I mentioned I like this beer? After about 2/3 is gone, and the brew starts warming I'm not getting any of the "hot" flavors I got from the Troublette, and there's a nice lacing of champagne bubbles holding on the whole way. Now I'm changing Biermuncher's Blue Balls clone recipe to use Saaz when I make it. I just don't know if I'll get any of those soon. Maybe the Slovenian Styrian Goldings I've been holding onto for a couple weeks will work? If you've had a Blue Moon then you know the basics of one of these type beers, but this one tastes fresh and crisp and I could drink many of these. I had to take a look at Avery's webpage for this beer to get a little more info. The ABV is 5.6%, which is a tenth higher than the Troublette, yet this White Rascal goes down clean without a hint of that ABV.

To make a comparison, the closest thing I can think of is tea. I know this might not work for many on this side of the pond, but Orfy and a few others might get my drift here. If you've ever had a cup of Lipton hot picture that. It's tea, and there's color, and the flavor components are there alright, and it tastes ok. Then there's PG Tips, or my favorite Typhoo, and once you brew up a pot of this in a proper Brown Betty and taste the flavor potential of a similar, yet so much more intense, tea you don't really want to have another cup of Lipton. Along those lines, I'll surely drink another Blue Moon, because it's affordable and readily available, but I'll be longing for this beer when I do.

13599-P1020820.jpg

In deference to Biermuncher, those are some Triscuits on the plate along side my brisket on a roll with a little melted cheese.

ma2brew said:
The Bellhaven:
P1020603.JPG

I'd recommend reading the BJCP style guidlines for a good accounting of what you can/should expect from any beer you're tasting/making for the first time.

Without having tasted anything other than Belhaven and Founder's Scotch Ales, I brewed a batch. It came out at 7.8%. My first reaction was "this is too damn sweet". THEN I read the style guidelines and low and behold it's often described as a "breakfast" beer and should have a good amount of residual sweetness.

ma2brew said:
Went with the Weissbier:
P1020605.JPG

Historically I've never been a big hefe fan. I don't know if this is the one to change my feelings, but it's drinkable.

I like the color of this one and, aside from the cloudiness, it reminds me of pouring a pilsner. The head is good, but doesn't hang around for very long. The nose on this one is much more interesting then the Wee Heavy. It's got a floral scent, with slight banana hints. This is a nice contrast to the Scot, and it's actually a brew I would be happy to order on a hot day after a round of golf, and I'd probably be happy having this with a nice grilled chicken sandwich too. Sorry, I'm just rolling with my inspiration here...

There's some spice in the aftertaste here. I can't nail it yet, but it's different then the initial citrus tone I get while the beer's on my tongue. I don't know if I care for it or not, but it could grow on me.

This could make me try a hefe of my own after not too long.

If you're going to try your own hefe and liked the banana/fruity/spicy flavors and aromas, DEFINITELY use WY3068. The yeast makes a HUGE difference in a wheat beer.

The last beer from this latest shopping trip is the Harviestoun Brewery Bitter & Twisted.

I have to admit, when I asked the salesperson for a recommendation and got this one I was actually asking for a good example of bitters, not a bitter beer. I don't think this is bitters, but rather a pale ale. The back label say, "Blond in colour. Bitter & Twisted has a superb hop profile, combining the aromatic Hallertau Hersbrücker with the spicy Challenger. It's finished by 'late hopping' with Styrian Goldings which gives a sharpness like a twist of lemon." Well, this is flavored along the same profile of the IPA I reviewed earlier, but much less assaulting to the tongue. I can really enjoy the hops in this beer. They smell great while not completely drowning out the rest of the beer, and the same can be said of the taste. It strikes out at first with bold hop flavor, but you get a chance to taste hints of malt as the bitter fades away, and with a mild by comparison 4.2%ABV, you could actually drink a few of these in an evening and not worry about feeling like crap in the morning. Other comments on the label include information about this ale being cask conditioned, so this is supposed to have a third less carbonation. Honestly, I can't tell that it's much less bubbly than any of the other beers I've tried other than the Troublette that took quite a while to settle down.

I'm not in love with this beer, but it's one I would order, especially for pairing with something like, and this might sound weird, some spicy Thai food or Kung Pao. This would stand up great against salty and spicy, but not obscenely hot food. I will say that this is the clearest glass of brew I've had from this lot yet. There's no haze at all, and it could easily be mistaken for a BMC when looked at, it just tastes much better than anything from an American mainstream lager producer.

13599-P1020821.jpg

(edited for spelling)

ma2brew said:
The Kolsch...
P1020607.JPG

It's clear. Looking at last night's picks, which all were more translucent than transparent, this one looks clean. It tastes it too. To me, this is beer. The initial taste is similar to a good pilsner, but the complexity of the brew is quick to show itself following the swallow. This beer is tasted more on the sides and back of the tongue, rather than the tip. I don't think I'm really getting a fruity taste, as is mentioned on the neck label of the bottle, but there's definitely a faintly fruity smell. I'm glad I chose this pictured glass for this one, as it really focuses the nose when you take a sip. This beer is dry, and refreshing. At 4.8% ABV I wouldn't call it a session beer, but I could drink a number of these at a sitting. As for a food pairing that came to mind, I'm picturing a nice plate of Italian cold cuts, with a healthy amount of spicy salame and coppa, as well as a stronger cheese and some crusty bread. This is just the beer to cut through the saltiness of the salame, and compliment it at the same time. I'd feel bad drinking it with a pizza, unless the pizza was made by hand and cooked in a wood-fired oven.

The shame of this one is that I don't currently have the refrigeration necessary to make a truly lagered Kolsch. I sure hope I can make an ale that has the bite of this one, without loading it too full of hops.

Any ideas for an extract/steep recipe that might have similar qualities to a nice Kolsch will be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Man, I've been looking around for Gaffel. All we have around here is Reissdorf, not that thers anything wrong with it..It's really good..

Another payday, and a Leap Year to boot!
P1030281.JPG

1. Reissdorf Kölsh
  2. Nostradamus Belgian Brown Ale
  3. Delirium tremens Belgian Ale
  4. Jenlain Blonde French Farm-Country Ale
  5. Westmalle Tripel Trappist Ale
  6. Fuller's London Porter

Writeups to follow shortly.

P1030282.JPG

The first brew of the latest sixxer is the Jenlain "French Farm-Country Ale", as I picked up some cheap goat's milk cheese, sliced up a Fuji apple and busted out the Keebler Elf's finest Club crackers, and somehow the most fitting beer seemed to me to be the Jenlain. I've never heard of this beer before, but that's not surprising at all, as I am still "awakening" to a whole world, literally and figuratively, of beers that one doesn't find in the import section of the Piggly Wiggly.

The first thing that strikes me about this brew is its extreme clarity. Maybe it was just the Fuji apple that made me think of this, but I swear this ale looked like a glass of Martinelli's sparkling apple juice in the glass.

I can't exactly nail down the hops here, but they're present in both the aroma and the flavor, thankfully. They're not Saaz. They smell German in origin, and since I've been using Hallertauers myself lately that's what I first thought of, but the more I concentrated on the nose of this beer I caught hints of Norther Brewer too. This isn't to say that this is a "hoppy" beer in the American sense, as SNPA would be considered much bolder, but compared to the Gaffel Kölsch I tried way back in my recent beer "travels", this is much hoppier. Every time I get a nice whiff from the pint glass I'm rewarded with a wonderful nose full of hops that's so lacking in about all the mass produced beer in the USA. I say this because I think this is a beer that doesn't challenge the drinker to enjoy at all, and I think I could hand a bottle of this to a Heineken drinker and they'd really enjoy this, probably much more than their green-bottled stuff. Of course at 7.5% ABV, that Heineken drinker isn't going to be putting away too many of these without falling off their barstool before long.

This is a relatively dry beer. I smell the malt more than I taste it, and I really don't get a sense of the alcohol content while I sip on this. Unlike the Troublette, which got "hot" flavors as it warmed, this beer's bread and malt character sat up a bit more than while it was cold, right from the fridge. There's no hint of anything exotic or spiced, just a clean beer. Perhaps it's just a bit too clean.

I was spot on with the pairing of the snacks and beer here. This goat cheese is soft and creamy, but with a more pungent punch than your basic Philly cream cheese, and it goes fine with the basic bolder apple flavor of the Fujis. Just as there's plenty of different cheeses and crackers out there, and I could run the gamut from Saltines and aerosol cheese in a can, to some fine Bleu and home made baguette topped with perfectly ripe pears, but as my snack selection fits somewhere midstream, so does my opinion of this beer. I put the farm and country adjectives in quotes in the first paragraph because I don't think this is a rustic beer at all. There's no hint of bottle conditioning, and I'm positive its been finely filtered prior to being carbed with gas at bottling. It's a fine beer, but I still get the feeling I'm drinking a mass marketed brew. I could serve this to the Williams Sonoma type crowd proudly, if you get my drift.

P1030283.JPG

Leap Year's second and final beer up for tasting this evening is the Fuller's Porter. I'm familiar with the name, but I don't recall ever having one before. I hope anybody across the pond, or on these shores, doesn't take this the wrong way, but since I've seen ads for this beer before, and because I don't exactly consider myself extremely knowledgeable of all things brewed, I considered this a mass produced beer going in to this tasting. I also have to add that based on my self-confessed lack of experience here, the "control" beer, or the one I'm basing my comparison on is Guinness. Yes, I know, that's a stout, not a porter, but that's about the closest thing I've got for a point of reference, sorry.

I don't know how evident it is in the photograph, which I also claim two faults with, being I'm by no means a pro photographer, and secondly my camera is dying a painfully slow death at the hands of my electronics abusing kids and wife, but the head on this porter, while plentiful at the pour, was not by any means creamy, and it didn't last very long at all. I was left with a nice lace around the glass, and the carbonation is fine. This is a dark beer that's every bit at opaque as a Guinness. That's not bad at all, I'm just making the observation.

Aside from the claim of "The World's Finest" on the label front, there's also the adjectives "Rich, Dark & Complex", and the description on the rear label uses words like "delicious chocolate and coffee flavours" (sic for the yanks), and coffee along with more of a honey scent fill the glass when I smell this beer. I don't really get the sense of chocolate at all, other than the color. Coffee is a good description, and I get the aftertaste of a cup of joe, with somewhat tart and acidic tones. I hate to say it, but I'm really just having flashes of Guinness, and I'm not complaining per se, but I was really expecting something that would give the impression of being a beer that would be easily identifiable on the scale somewhere between Newcastle and Guinness. It's not bad, it's just not what I was hoping for when I got it out of the cooler at the beer shop.

ma2brew said:
secondly my camera is dying a painfully slow death at the hands of my electronics abusing kids and wife.[/QUOTE]

ROFL, I thought I was the only one that had to replace electronic gadgets earlier than expected ecause of this.

Great write-ups. I enjoyed reading them all.

P1030285.JPG

Having just dined on a lovely plate of steamed shrimp and oysters on the half shell, Stump Sounders, I had a real thirst for a beer tonight. The choice to follow all that nice seafood? The Reissdorf Kölsch.

It poured with a lovely head and had a few streams of fine champagne-like bubbles lazily rising to the top from various unseen points around the interior of the tall glass. As I smelled the beer I couldn't help think that it smelled just like the hops in the Jenlain from last night, but much less boldly. Like that French ale from 24 hours ago, this one is also apparently not bottle conditioned. There wasn't a trace of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. This beer was also crystal clear, but I expect that in a Kölsch, whereas I was expecting something less refined in last night's "Farm-Country Ale".

This beer is clean, like a Pilsner. It's crisp and refreshing, like a Pilsner. It's lightly, but pleasantly hopped, like a Pilsner. Where it's not like a Pilsner is in the flavor following that initial taste. I don't know if I can get this flavor described here, but I get a light hint of that classic Malt-O-Meal goodness in the nose of this beer, and for a few seconds following the moment I have already swallowed that same light malty-ness lingers on my tongue. It's good, and something of a character that I found lacking in the Jenlain. I don't mean it's malty like a Scottish ale, though. It's not bready, like some of the British ales, but rather somewhere between fruity and carmel, if you can picture that. It's definitely not banana either. I like this beer, but although it's been a while I think I was more impressed with the Gaffel I tasted in the first sixxer I started this "training" with.

I put this one above both the Jenlain and the Fuller's in this current lineup.

ma2brew said:
The Kolsch...
P1020607.JPG

Matt

Congratulations! Gaffel is a great Koelsch, and usually pretty hard to find in the US (I have yet to come across any true Koelsch except Reissdorf over here, which isn't the best). Frueh is my personal favorite.

I also do not have any means to bulk lager, but I am thinking about giving a Koelsch-style homebrew a go using extended bottle-lagering in the fridge.

Back